mix: Dirge - "Forever The Martyr"

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
my old buddy Shaun Glass from Soil asked me to mix a track for his side project band Dirge.... you can hear the result on either my myspace page or the band's own myspace site. It's the top track on both profiles, "Forever The Martyr".

do i need to state the obivious? i do so hate myspace player. :lol:

... YOUR MIX IS GREAT. :)

Any production notes? Amps, drums (samples)?
i re-amped to my 6505+ and i used a metric ton of samples on the drums, but the actual kit is still there too.. more of an enhancement than replacement. i created the intro for them and played in the little synth sound underneath the filtered clean guitar bit with the Indigo plug in PT by mouse-clicking the root notes of the arpeggiated chords directly on the little on-screen keyboard in Indigo.... didn't have time to set up my Kurzweil, lol. spent about 8 hours total.

EDIT: appears to be corrupted on my page so check it on the band's myspace profile instead.

I saw "Paz" as the bass player and I immediately thought it was Paz Lenchantin from A Perfect Circle. Yay! I clicked on pictures and was greeted with the picture of a bearded dude. Total turn off.

What a disappointment.

Hehe. Back on topic, mix sounds good James. Can I be your apprentice? I'll pay you a stick of Winterfresh and a small, purple clock radio.

Dam this mix sounds just huge!!

Great job James

And just when i thought i had a decent mix i hear this than compare to mine and then :cry:

right on, James!

This sounds stellar. I love that intro..
cool, i made that for them... short and sweet, simply because i only had 2 bars before the song started and didn't want to hassle with moving everything... worked out good that way i think. they told me the original name of the song was "Breathe" so i put the "breathing" sounds you can hear in there for that reason.. there's also some factory ambience, some general "static" sounds, some pink noise, and obviously, two reversed cymbals panned L/R. glad you liked it.

Very impressed with this mix, the guitars sound punchy and raw, and the vocals are amazing! The drums are super punchy and sound very natural and roomy while still retaining all the precision they need.

Amazing work all around, as usual!

Kudos to the band for a great song with a hook!