Mix Experiment...using ears only, quick mix, back to the whatever

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Hey,
I think as we keep doing this all of us are developing a certain way of working, and as well a certain way of using plugins, I don't wanna say "presets", but we get used to starting from a certain ballpark setting in our favorite plugins and tweak from there etc.
I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I actually think it's good to develop a style etc.
but I do think it sometimes limits us as well..or makes us lazy, sometimes we're using a plugin or setting just because we're using it all the time and because we know it sounds good.

I thought it'd be a fun idea to really start fresh, just to see if I can still mix using my ears primarily..I mean I'm using my ears all the time, but I wanted to see if this wors:

so what I did was take this project and start mixing it from scratch in the shortest amount of time (I wnet for something like 1-2hrs) using only new plugins (I bought many plugins recently) and/or plugins that I'm usually not using.
so for example instead of using my regular goto compressors and starting from ballpak settings I used a different/new compressor and tweaked just using my ears, not looking at the screen at all (the control24 helps with that of course)....
The mastering I did in a different DAW as well, using plugins (ozone3) instead of my trusted old finalizer.
I didn't even use a TS on the guitars or anything.

what I wanted to know is
A) will the mix still sound like I mixed it, will it still be my style
B) will it sound halfway decent at all with that limited amount of time and plugins I'm not used to.

to make it a bit more "ear heavy" I haven't compared to any other mix yet (neither one of mine, nor a reference mix), I just did what I thought sounded good....so chances are it'll sound completely fucked up...perhaps not, I don't know....you be the judge.

This is not a finished mix of course , would need automation, some tweaking (especially the vocals definitely need some more work) etc, but I just did it for the sake of this experiment.

so tell me what you think, does the mix/master sound alright? Does it sound like a Lasse Lammert rough mix?

also: I strongly encourage you to try it yourself, a very ineteresting experiment, that'll either confirm that you know what you're doing, no matter which DAW, plugins etc you're using, or will tell you that it's time to learn using your ears again.

anyways, here's the roughmix:

modern punk

this is NOT metal, but although it's punk it's still supposed to sound modern and clean, but not too sterile

it sounds pretty decent i would give some more treble to guitars and saturation to master to get it a little louder.
is everything 100% real?

edit: i should get some new plugins. i'm bored of these i'm using all the time..

so tell me what you think, does the mix/master sound alright? Does it sound like a Lasse Lammert rough mix?

Yeah sounds allright and also tastes like Lasse to me!
Also wouldnt mind to be able to pull something like that off in only 2 hrs^^
I dunno what exactly makes your mixes sound like Lasse, but it is there...and its not the using of the same samples obviously ;)

would like to try that myself, but I'm pretty limited on the amount of plugins I can use :lol:

A)
For your style, IMHO it need less low-mid, a little less guitar, a few more snare and a little more "glue" (for me it need no more compression except for that needed for the glue for the master).
For me, all the above and more high-mid for the bass for this type of music.

B)
A lot better that I can make with unlimited time. It sound more than halfway decent, maybe pi/4.^^

PS : You can try this if you want and can : http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/
PS2 : Sorry for my poor english.

Sounds better than all the metalcore posted here, that's for sure. It has more personality.