Mix Feedback - Be Totally Honest!

MrKhacheerio

New Metal Member
Mar 20, 2017
California
I've been at this for about 2 years and for the latter half of it, I haven't really been making progress. Please give this a listen and let me know what you think; from what I can hear, I feel like I've got a good chunk of elements clashing in the high end and maybe some cuts I should be making in the lows and low mids; I could be totally wrong though... I'm open to that. This mix definitely isn't final. Drum MIDI Isn't final either so disregard that.

Also, I suck at mixing guitars, they never sound good.

It sounds quite good, if you aré struggling with The low mids so it sounds a little bit muddy on my opinion, try to cut a little bit around 300 hz In bass and put a C4 In guitars to tight The low mids only suking a couple db In The loud parts, this should help, try metal foundry on drums

It sounds quite good, if you aré struggling with The low mids so it sounds a little bit muddy on my opinion, try to cut a little bit around 300 hz In bass and put a C4 In guitars to tight The low mids only suking a couple db In The loud parts, this should help, try metal foundry on drums

Thanks for the reply! The advice you had about bass was spot on, it opened things up well. I've already got multiband compression on the guitars as you say so I guess I've got that covered... any opinion on what the guitars sound like in terms of tone? I'm using X50 with the lowest amount of gain I can get away with and decent settings for this type of music. I'm using two impulses in parallel using X50's IR loader, one SM57 impulse and a Royer 121 impulse, both the same distance from the cab. As for post processing, I've got about 7 bands of EQ doing no more than 3.5 dB of gain reduction each, compression as mentioned, some excitement from Ozone's exciter, and a bit of stereo widening (not in that order). My main problem is in the highs, they sound really "fake" if you get what I mean... Really fizzy and displeasing.

Guitars were recorded with a Schecter C1 Platinum using EMG Pickups, directly into a focusrite 2i4 with the preamp gain at 3 o'clock. Thanks again for the help.

Will gladly give it a shot. I like the track!

- would use different drums and mix them more balanced and have that right side china sit better
- tidy up guitars
- bass needs a bit of grit and some cutting in muddy section
- Broaden it out a bit so sound picture becomes less congested

I think there is a lot of bass an lo mid missing.
You can achieve awesome mix using all the spectrum, because actually it sound quite good but it's far too closed on the spectrum

I think there is a lot of bass an lo mid missing.
You can achieve awesome mix using all the spectrum, because actually it sound quite good but it's far too closed on the spectrum

Hey thanks for the feedback. When you say 'too closed', is that just referring to the fact that you think there isn't a balance across the spectrum for the entire mix, or something else? If you mean something else, do you think you could describe what it is and what it sounds like for me? Also, do you think you can tell what particular element is lacking as far as the low-mids go?

I sort of get the feeling that I know what you mean about a mix being closed but I'm not sure.

Will gladly give it a shot. I like the track!

- would use different drums and mix them more balanced and have that right side china sit better
- tidy up guitars
- bass needs a bit of grit and some cutting in muddy section
- Broaden it out a bit so sound picture becomes less congested

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Any specific suggestions on how to go about cleaning up guitars? Those have always been my biggest problem; guitars take processing very poorly and I always find it impossible to make them fit perfectly.

Make sure that the gtrs and the bass don't fight over the same freq bands. I would compress the 120-500ish and would give a boost around 4K to make the stand out more from the bass but I think it is difficult to say completely without having some listening to the bass and guitars in solo

Wait what? Did you change the mix on the soundclound link ?
I dont hear the same song as the other day.

So dont think about my precedent comment, i will make a new one

What I hear and see now:
-a bit too much sub on the kick, try reduce the sub track if there is one or use a slight shelf
-the kick is a bit too loud
-cymbals are sometimes harsh try filtering in the 3k -8k range
-guitars are a bit boxy try scooping some mids a little
-the kick, bass and guitars are fighting in the low / low mid range, check your lox cut and use shelfs if needed

What i see:
-TOO MUCH energy lower than 40Hz, cut them
-too much energy higher than 16kHz, cut them
-there is too much phase movement in the low end, try cutting more unwanted low end on the instrument that hard hard panned and try to cut lo end on the SIDE (Fabfilter Pro Q2 can filter side or mid channel)

Last edited: