Mix tips/comments - Pantera Cover

theproject123

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2010
Hey guys,

I decided to focus on and take recording/mixing more seriously, with this in mind I bought some gear and wanted to try it out but had no band lined up to record.

So along with the help of a friend I recorded a version of “I’m Broken” by Pantera just to give the equipment a once round the block.

It was all done pretty quick as I thought like so many noobs everything can be drumagog'd or fixed in the mix and although a lot can be done I wish I would have spent more time on the natural sounds, having to rely less on amp mods and hit replacement.

I really would like to get some advice/opinions on where or how my mixes could be better, to my ears things feel too separated. As I’m sure with so many others I feel quite happy with the sound coming out of my monitors but I find it’s not translating very well on a standard mp3 player i.e. an Ipod.

Thanking you in advance.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9978410/I'm Broken Rough Instrumental 10-8-10.mp3

p.s. It is only an instrumental as I haven’t got anyone to track vocals for it and I am no Phil Anselmo o_O

POD for geetars? If so, they sound pretty sweet, and If the aren't they still sound damn sweet.

Sounds pretty sweet on my shitty headphones. Seems like the overheads/cymbals could come up a tad but again, I'm listening on shitty Zune headphones. Nice work.

Thanks dude, really appreciate the feedback.

Yeah I felt the OH's could come up a bit when I got it home and listened to it on my laptop & crappy headphones. I think it's important to give mixes a spin on lesser quality music equipment/ mp3 players etc as that's what the average music lover will listen to their music on.

Thanks again!

POD for geetars? If so, they sound pretty sweet, and If the aren't they still sound damn sweet.

Thanks mate!

For guitars I was playing a mixture of two Gibson Les Paul standards going through a 100 watt Marshall JCM 2000 DSL Head into a Marshall 4 X 12 1960 cab just with the ol' faithful SM57 in pretty much the center of the cone.

I recorded D.I’s and created a sound in Guitar Rig 4 that I used to layer and fatten up the sound a bit.

Thanks guys for all the positive comments and feedback, my change in direction to start doing this full on was from taking a step back from playing guitar in bands for the past 10 years, so I have a fair bit of studio experience which helps.

Hey guys, attached is a version with a bit more EQ on the over heads to bring them out a touch more, eq on the master buss, along with SSL G-Master Buss Compressor and Voxengo Analog Tapebus.

The changes are subtle but hopefully an improvement.

Please let me know what you think guys, even if it's negative, ideally I'm looking to produce professional results (within reason) fairly soon as I'm setting up business and want to have a good rep from the get go.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9978410/I'm Broken Rough 12-8-10.mp3

really dig it dude. if you wouldnt mind to share whats going on EQ wise on guitar? :D (amp and post) i love the pantera tone but i can never get anything on the end product that sounds decent.

anyway dude, sounds great! keep it up :headbang:

Cheers mate, to be honest originally I did start off trying to make the guitars sound more Dimebag and got pretty close but the sound he had was just so unique and original I didn’t want it to come off like a poor man’s version, plus it really just wasn’t working for this mix so I just made a sound that was pleasing to my ears and flattering to the recording.

It was a Gibson Les Paul Standard with EMG 81's into a 100 watt Marshall JCM 2000 DSL Head, into a Marshall 4 X 12 1960 cab just with the ol' faithful SM57 in pretty much the center of the cone, the eq on the amp was pretty much at 12 o'clock.

I made a preset in GuitarRig 4, which was mixed in to taste just to thicken the sound and fill in the characteristics I felt were lacking in the amp sound. It was just a case of fiddling with sounds in GTR4 until I felt it was right.

Like I said in my first post, in hindsight I’d rather have just spent a little more time getting the amp sounding good and skip the GTR4 stuff, but you live and learn!