Mixed tracks to share...

FrenchFrog

Feb 15, 2011
Froggy France!
Hi guys,

I learned a lot - and I keep on learning - a lot of stuff in this forum and I warmly thank you all for this. So I work everyday, trying to get a good, powerful yet clear sound out of my mixes but I'm always fighting against the same problems: too much low-end in the bass or the guitars that give a muddy mix, not enough low frequencies so my bass/guitars sound really too thin and/or too aggressive... Also every single time I mix the drums, the final result doesn't sound that good.

Of course, many many years of experience is the key to have a good result but I was wondering if some of you would accept to post separate mixed tracks. I used to work with my ears (very logical, isn't it hehe) as main guide and to be able to listen for example an isolated processed snare or a rhythm guitar would help me a lot to find what is my main weak points I guess.

I'll post some stuff I mixed soon...

Hope to have some answers ;)
Thanks!!

edit: to have the raw tracks along the mixed tracks would be nice to compare and see what has been done on each element :)

I would gladly do this, but I have the exact same problems as you, so it wouldn't really help that much. But I plan on releasing a "do it yourself" song from my upcoming album, to let people fool around with as they please. In this process I could make a seperate export of my final mix aswell.

At the moment I am nowhere near done with my current mix though, so it will be quite a while till I will be able to release that.

what you are asking for doesn't make much sense. The drums are going to be different on almost every track. Simpl put the compression/EQ or whatever else you use will differ depending on the mix. Even hearing one isloated snare from another song isnt going to help you.

My advice.. Get a decent iso drum sound. THEN do all the rest of your drum sounds in the full mix. In the end all that matters is how everything sounds together. Just play with whatever EQs and compressors/gates etc you have available until you find the ones that you liked the most.

I always run drums as separate tracks. 2 overheads plus top and bottom snare, then one mic for every other drum. I also single mic the hats and ride. This gives more overall flexibility in the drum final mix.

You really need to just play arond with the tools you have more... you will be surprised at how dramatically well placed EQs can alter your mix. The low end stuff is most likely due to poor acoustics in your mixing area. Low end tend to be lost and you overcompensate. Find some nice reference music and listen to its level then go back to your own to help eliminate some of this issue.

My advice.. Get a decent iso drum sound. THEN do all the rest of your drum sounds in the full mix. In the end all that matters is how everything sounds together. Just play with whatever EQs and compressors/gates etc you have available until you find the ones that you liked the most.

I usually try to obtain a 'definitive' drum sound before working on the guitars & the bass, then I come back on the drums and do some correction.
What you say here is quite logical and certainly helps to have more cohesion between guitars and drums...

But, even each mix has its own color, we can hear/feel the same frequencies in the same proportion. I mean, DevilDriver sounds really different from The Haunted but both have good low frequencies, good high frequencies, etc. They both sound balanced. That's exactly what I cannot obtain. Experience...

I work on Behringer Truth B2031A that are cheap but sound good.

I mean you are fighting against your monitoring solution obviously. I really feel the best trick is take a song you like the mix on and spend a week A/B-ing it with your mix until you get something close.
Most likely you will have some funky low end w/o acoustic treatment. but still you will be certainly closer. The best way to learn is just to play obsessively.

Drums are going to use : Compressors, EQs and Gates (primarily) try various combination of what you have on hand. If you want you can listen to one of my tracks in my sig. If you like that sound i can tell you what i did for that.

Yes that's what I do. I take even 2 or 3 reference songs to compare with mine and add some corrections until I think I'm close. But the final result is always very very different... Sometimes my mix sounds good but also always sounds 'small'. I have some good gears.
On pro mixes - in addition to these frequency points - there is this "air pumping". I mean no one instrument is alone, everything is 'glued' and the ensemble sounds like a slab. I work everyday for years but cannot reach this particular stuff. It must have some tips to obtain this 'air pumping' (reverbs and/or compression on the whole mix??)

Thanks man, I'd like to have some info about your method...
Btw, you can listen to my shit here. All was recorded and mixed by myself at my home studio. Feedbacks are welcome!

Yes that's what I do. I take even 2 or 3 reference songs to compare with mine and add some corrections until I think I'm close. But the final result is always very very different... Sometimes my mix sounds good but also always sounds 'small'. I have some good gears.
On pro mixes - in addition to these frequency points - there is this "air pumping". I mean no one instrument is alone, everything is 'glued' and the ensemble sounds like a slab. I work everyday for years but cannot reach this particular stuff. It must have some tips to obtain this 'air pumping' (reverbs and/or compression on the whole mix??)

Thanks man, I'd like to have some info about your method...
Btw, you can listen to my shit here. All was recorded and mixed by myself at my home studio. Feedbacks are welcome!

Do you have another way to listen? I refuse to allow "access to my personal information" to anything on facebook.

So for example here is what i did on the kick:
Runs through these plugs in this order:
UAD Studer 800 (tape saturation)
UAD Never 88s (gate+eq+comp)
UAD Hz precision enhancer
bussed to : UAD precision Maximizer and QL Spaces reverb

I am a UAD whore.. but i truly love the sound and color they provide

I understand the problem you are stating there. It really does sound like you are fighting your acoustic. You KNOW it isnt the mix you want. But my guess is you simply cant HEAR the parts that are missing. Acoustics are either your best friend or enemy.

Give me another link to a tune. I will give it a listen and see if I can provide some more useful advice on your mix. Ill be overseas next week so if I respond slow dont take it personal.

@ahjteam:
Thanks a lot man, that will help! I also found out this page http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan11/articles/mixrescue-0111.htm

I understand the problem you are stating there. It really does sound like you are fighting your acoustic. You KNOW it isnt the mix you want. But my guess is you simply cant HEAR the parts that are missing. Acoustics are either your best friend or enemy.

Correct. Some things are difficult to identify. I should buy an analyzer.
That's weird that you cannot listen to the songs... I changed a parameter, try again.

I can listen now :)

Honestly, those mixes are not bad at all. Some mastering EQ to drop out some of the extra low end.. But they dont actually sound bad. Listening on a "consumer" system IT sounds comparable to any regular release. I think you are being too hard on your own mixes.

Thanks for the compliment & advices. I spent a lot of time, used a lot of EQ, lost a lot of hair but I'm partially statisfied of these mixes. It was hard as I used EZ Drummer at this time and it's fucking hard to get a decent drum sound with it...

BUT even if we can hear almost everything, it still doesn't sound 'big'. As an example my reference mix at this time was Soilwork's Weapon Of Vanity (from 'Stabbing The Drama') I was fighting for a long time to reach something "close" and I did not have this 'air pumping'. I think its mainly due to lack of reverb but not sure.
Of course it sounds better with real drums coz overheads and ambiance mics bring this air up. I tried to compress hardly during mastering but not convincing.

Arg! Still working... Any other advice are very welcome!

Well most certainly your Verb can make a difference. Do you use a a "glue" verb at all? i.e. a single verb that everything is bussed to last (this provides the semblance of a live performance)

I use the SD and Evil drums samples along with slate with trigger to replace real drums. You can totally get real sounds from those..

I am not sure on the EZ drummer samples (since i have never used it).. BUT an idea on those is to make sure you avoid using the built in FX and mixer... Instead bounce all tracks to individual audio track. then use your gate/eq/comp on each individual drum/mic then buss to reverb. This will certainly help is getting a bigger drum sound.
if you can make a downloadable version available i can listen to it in the studio and possible give some more robust advice.

Now I use Slate drums that are awesome and some samples I did by myself or I grabbed here.
Actually I think my idea of a mix has recently been changed... I used to mix guitars as if they had to give most of low frequencies and I always mixed the bass in a very aggressive way but without real low-end. Am I afraid of low frequencies or what?? ahah!

So yesterday I mixed this song and I'm glad of the result. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36870048/StraightToYourFace_miw1.mp3
I did it in 2 hours and I gotta make some correction on the drums - then I'll repost it - but the guitar/bass stuff feel great I think :) Also I'm a big fan of this 'Tue Madsen' pumping sound, so I tried to reach something "similar" by overcompressing the whole shit. I must be honest by saying it's the best mix of my life!

Edit: I fixed some stuff..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36870048/StraightToYourFace_mix2.mp3