Mixed Drum Stems For Referencing?

Sep 6, 2012
Chicago, IL
I've been struggling lately to achieve the drum sounds I want, so I was hoping some peeps around here would have some archives of mixed drum stems (the whole drum track. I'm not looking for isolated kit pieces), or would be willing to bounce down and post a wav or mp3 file.

I've already got the files from Ermin's old post, which is pretty good. All of the isolated Rock Band multitracks sound really lo-fi to my ears on top of the fact that I don't necessarily dig the mixes for most of the songs available. I've also got the drums that Lasse and Mago put out with their DI pack, and some drum tracks from Brian Hood. With those however, I don't think they are very close to the end product that would be used in the final mix.

Anyway, here's to hoping ya'll will be kind enough to oblige ;).

PS: Metal stems are preferred. I don't have any qualms with my drums on non-metal mixes.
And a clip of the full mix would be nice for comparison as well.

Thanks, dudes! Those QOTSA tracks are sick!
And while I'm not too interested in the Sturgis/Chango style, that track Frank posted is really cool as well. I was kind of hoping to just make this thread a big collection of different styles and mixes in general. That way people besides me could benefit from it as well :lol:

post a clip of your drums and a description or example of what you want to achieve. metal is a total bastard to mix, esp if it's a lot of double kick work.

Here's a recent clip:

For the most part, my drums always sound really plastic-y or metallic, and over hyped. Overall I'd like for them to sound more natural, but I really don't know where to start without losing the "oomph" and power.

People that consistently get my favorite drum mixes are Andy, and Colin (obviously), Suecof, Mark Lewis and Bogren.

Some specific mixes I like:

Trivium - Shogun
Deicide - To Hell With God
Job For A Cowboy - Ruination, Sun Eater
Revocation - Teratogenesis
Unearth - Darkness In The Light
August Burns Red - Leveler
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine, War Eternal
As I Lay Dying - Awakened
and the new Kataklysm track that Andy did is killer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using impulses for reverb on the snare? Try an algorithmic verb plugin and see which you like better. I would also turn the reverb down a bit myself. That would help with the sounding overhyped.

The decay on that second clip I posted was about 1.10 since it's so fast and busy. The wet/dry was only at 15/85.

So, I backed off on the verb like He's Dead Jim suggested, and tried a few different techniques here:

If anyone wants me to bounce down the drum bus soloed let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit, Brian!! That is awesome, thanks for that!!

Just checked out "Today" but Smashing Pumpkins. Some of those guitars sound almost out of tune. And some of the rhythm tones sound like complete shit! But that mix is killer all together.