Mixer for Metallicas IJFA wanted to knock Lars out....

I was 13. Believe me if you want, I could not say why I didn't like it, I barely knew how a bass sounded, but I really hated their sound...

I also hated this one that came in 91 and was obviously heavily influenced by AJFA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idY78hvgET0

I was actually gonna bring this one up, because you can quite clearly hear the huge influence AJFA had on this album, especially when you listen to the album before it. It's something I had to adjust myself to, since I love the music on the album so much, even being one of my top 5 albums of all time.

I was 13. Believe me if you want, I could not say why I didn't like it, I barely knew how a bass sounded, but I really hated their sound...

I also hated this one that came in 91 and was obviously heavily influenced by AJFA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idY78hvgET0

Heavily influenced because kirk lent his amp to heathen.... and I guess they "copycatted" the tone a lot, but at least this has a better drums tone! :p

Really? I didn't know that, that's pretty rad. You can definitely tell they were trying to copycat AJFA, in nearly all respects.

I bet Lars will read about this at some point and start thinking "What is this conspiracy? Everyone is after me."

Amirite

Wasn't there an interview a while back with Rassmussen who said he was going to make it sound like MoP, but James and Lars had the mixer turn the bass way down? I swear I remember that.

Sounds better indeed ! For some reason, even though bass is non existent, and wether it was or wasn't a good production back then, it never bothered me. I'd take a good album over a well produced album any day. I wouldn't be surprised the story is true, however this is not news. I remember reading this years ago somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 5 in 88 so yeah this record was not apart of my life. I must say though anytime I go listen to it I wonder what the fuck happened when you compare it to albums made by them prior to this.

To be honest the drums sounded better on previous records as well so I don't know who was on crack... but someone was on crack.

I never liked that mix and I hated the sound at the time when it came out. I'm still not sure what they were going for over what they had in Master of Puppets. Maybe trying for some kind of more sophisticated prog-type sound to separate themselves?

On the other hand, I was in high school when that album came out (old as hell now). At that point, most of us way into metal had gotten used to totally jacked up sounding mixes/production quality in that day and age. It wasn't too relevant as a fan. If it was good metal you dug it. And obviously the album was quite successful with the mix as it was. As I recall we'd still get way into say Destruction's Eternal Devastation album which sounded like garbage then and now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBSIz1UGQLA

Sounds better indeed ! For some reason, even though bass is non existent, and wether it was or wasn't a good production back then, it never bothered me. I'd take a good album over a well produced album any day. I wouldn't be surprised the story is true, however this is not news. I remember reading this years ago somewhere.

Hearing that makes me think about what a shame it is that nobody got to hear Jason's playing. That actually sounds good.

I thought the bass was too loud at first, but then I realized that it was just because I was used to there being no bass. It also really highlighted how badly that guitar tone works with bass under it.

I also hated the sound of AJFA when it came out. Knew nothing about mixing at the time but just couldn't listen to it. Was a huge fan of MoP and was really disappointed.