Mixing a band from a different country

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Howdy.

So recently, I've had 3-4 bands from out of the country contact me about mixing their albums/songs, which is cool but seems a little dangerous.

Do any of you have experience with doing this? If so how do you reach a mutual agreement that they pay X amount for your work? Do you fax them a contract with your signature or something? If so, how do you know they are even the person they claim to be and aren't just signing a gimmick name?

Anything you've got, I appreciate it!

I don't see how they can do anything bad to you short of wasting your time, otherwise I think there is probably nothing to worry about. I have worked with a couple of bands from Europe with no problems before. We did payments through PayPal for one and a bank transfer for the other band. Communicated through AIM and e-mail and used Dropbox/FTP to get the files back and forth to each other, all well and good.

doing this at the moment. sofar so good. make an agreement about the payments and all terms and you should be fine. I am currently mixing 10 songs for a band - we agreed that they will pay in 2 parts - the first payment is going to be sent after the first song is done and aprroved. and the second before the last one is sent off from me. otherwise we communicate through skype

If you're not sure who they are, you might ask for some references/credentials to confirm the band members' identity. Or contact their manager, if they have one.

I'd actually require some advance payment to start work and/or make ask them to pay the rest of the sum after you've delivered them half of the material. Only then send them the rest of their stuff.

Whatever you choose, be sure to be clear about your requirements both technical and financial. They may want to negotiate but I hope you all will reach a compromise eventually.

Oh, in case a person wants to rip you off, digital signature and agreements on this level won't help you none. :) Would you open an international fraud case?

Just take a 30-50% deposit before you lift a finger, and only give the finished songs without silence inserts or beeps out to them after they have paid the amount in full and everything's fine.

yep. that´s what i usually do, too (no matter where the band comes from :))

I believe this is how everybody is working.
50% up-front for the booking, then the other 50% when the work is done and validated but payment must be received before it is sent in Wave format or burnt on a pre-master CD.
If the band is reluctant to pay the booking, then don't waste your time with them, they're probably not "clear".