Need help mixing 2 different vocalist

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Well the band I'm mixing has 2 different vocalist and one allot of times will do a low growl and other singer screams over top of the growl. Well i have one track of each vocalist and I'm just wondering any tips on how to make vocals play nice together.

Ive tried duping the higher vocal that screams over growl and then pan one 50% left and other 50% right and messing with a bit of eq but they really seem like there fighting one another.

I know you guys probably want a sample of this, so tomorrow if i have time i will get one posted.

I would keep them pretty close to the center. Is this a problem with amplitude? You can automate the fader for each track to keep a nice balance. From then I would maybe EQ. Depends, post all the audio for a track and maybe if we hear it we can show you different ways to go about this.

I can think of a few ideas for stuff like this. I love doing vocals like this because it gives you so many options (I think Oz had a good one, I never thought of, I'll have to try that in the future). Anyway, mix each vocal track independently first, the best thing is to experiment. I would try to put a very light reverb on the lower growls and /OR put a short delay (I would use delay over reverb, but adding 2 together in this case works), the one in protools that splits the track into 2 tracks, but only delay one side of the vocals, leave the other one completely dry and make the delay slight no more than 30 milli seconds, on one track and pan each side hard left and right. It gives it a stereo feel to it. Then on the highs, put a de-esser if needed,some EQ, and some hard compression after the EQ, like a 10:1 or more, with slow attack, (so you don't amplify the breathing). Then try sending BOTH tracks to a stereo bus track. On the bus track put another compressor usually around 3:1, again with a slow attack and slow release. Then put a limiter on there, so neither vocal clips, and this should help to blend the two vocals together. The reverb and the delay on the lower vocals will make it seem like the lower growls are in a very wide stereo field, while the highs are smack dead in the center. Sometimes I do it the opposite way, I'll put the lows in the center and put the highs in a delay (but without verb) then again send em over to a bus track. I hope this makes sense.