mixing dj scratches (turntables)

motyl

Jan 31, 2008
hi , i didn`t find anything searching the forums so i ask here:)

I`ll be mixing my band`s cd , in this band we play something like a mix of newschool hc , funk and hiphop (old demo here www.myspace.com/fnku). Now we have turntablist dj , and I`m curious where should i put in the mix.

I thought about two options

1) mix it as a part of drums , same compression , place in the pan etc.
2) mix it as a part of vocals , fact is that there are no scratches when there is a vocal part , so i can mix scrathces as a `reply` to the vocals , in the same place in the pane , comp etc.

Does anybody have experience mixing turntables ? any comrpession , eq or other tips?

I would mix it in as a different track all together. Depending on the samples used on the vinyl I would mix like vocals. If you get some really low Hz action going I'd change the EQ to allow that, but as a whole you've got enough bass going on between the bass drums and bass guitar.

Also never hurts to do some crazy panning with scratches. I wouldn't drop the DJ's work in a single spot in the mix and keep it there.

Old incubus is a great example. Songs like Are You In? Class and I Miss You (for ballad-y application).