Mixing bigger bands....

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Or just mixing bands you did not track.

If your mixing a project you did not track, is the editing, like vocal breaths and noise in between tracks, guitar stops and string noise usually part of the mixers job?

Or is that more of the engineers job when tracking to do all this stuff before the mixer gets the tracks?

Just curious as I'm mixing a project i did not track and had to charge the band more because of the time I'm spending editing stuff. So yea was just curious about some other people here who mix projects for labels and such...

that should have all been taken care of by the tracking engineer including any edits, vocal tuning that the producer wanted, etc unless its specified.... i look as it as if it was sent to me this way this is the way they want it unless they tell me otherwise.. ive had sessions that take a full day to prep each song sent
to me that were supposed to be finished recordings needing mixed...

I would just ask. I'd say do you want me to do my thing or do you want to work with exactly what you have given me. Communication is the key.

Cool dude, in that case, I'm looking forward to hearing of you! :D (don't mean to sound like a dick, of course everyone starts somewhere, and you're way ahead of me!)

i mean i would give the client a heads up and if it was a lot of work i would just say it's more $$$.

if it's a few things like string noise or little ring-outs not a big deal might as well do it.

editing vocal breaths should not be part of the recording engineer !!!!
even string noise should be kept till the very end (mixing process).

it all depends on the style of the band, but mixing a rock'n roll band the way they'd like it when everything is clean as hell might be an issue.
if there really is a producer, then it's his choice and everything can be edited in the recording sessions, otherwise keep the recorded tracks alive.

Well when mixing a full length that is not edited, you spend days doing all the editing instead of mixing. Not sure but would be cool if some people who mix for a living could chime in on projects they did not track, and let us know if its normal to do editing like that.

Most of the stuff I'm tracking and mixing so its never a question as to what is the normal....