Pre Mix Setup VS. Just Going For It.

C_F_H_13

Protools Guru
Mar 21, 2006
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Something I've been curious about for awhile, but how many of you actually do prep work before mixing?

For years, I've always distinctively separately mixing from tracking/editing. Before I mix anything, everything is edited/tuned/printed. No midi, no synths, nothing...just straight audio files. Everything gets labeled a certain way and everything is setup the same way every time.

Recently though, I've noticed that this particular step takes a lot more energy then it once did. Or perhaps, it's always been like this, I just am now getting sick of it. All those years of prepping sessions for other mixers has left me almost unable to mix if these things are setup that way.

I enjoy walking into a session when everything is "right". I enjoy starting from the same blank slate every time, and I absolutely need to know that everything is where it should be. But I'm wondering if I need to care less, and just go for it.

Thoughts?

No, you should stick with what you are doing already. When you say that you enjoy when everything 'feels' right, I think I know exactly what you are talking about. For me, when I don't feel that way, I actually feel kinda lost and uneasy. Not just in mixing, I like when I put everything on paper in rl (sort of the equivalent of a well laid out DAW mixing project), otherwise I feel that uneasiness. It's pretty weird.

My .02 dB :)

Everything in it's right place.

I know what you mean, sometimes it'd be easier to just dive in and be creative; but If you do that you end up chasing your tail for one reason or another

I find if I don't do the prep work I end up wasting more time and every change to the mix becomes a chore and hassle. I'd say to stick to what you know with the prep work and make it fresh another way.

If everything isn't in its place, I spend hours obsessing about stupid little shit instead of just mixing.

THIS, a 1000 times. I'm still making this mistake a lot, especially with synths and programmed drums. Instead of just rendering them, I often use the midi while mixing, because who knows, maybe I hear a slightly off snarehit and the world ends....

The more I do this, the more I realize that "keeping your options open" is one of the WORST things to do. From now on, I'm setting up everything from the start so I get no chance to obsess. The mixingphase should be as creative as possible. Not to mention that in my case, I'm using a lot of processingpower for nothing.

So CFH13, stick to your practice! It may be annoying after doing it a thousand times, but I think you had it right all along.

I like to prep my mixes, that way I can be creative in the mixing process and not have to waste time editing and fixing mistakes. If possible, try and take a few days (or even a week or two) break between prep and mixing. That way you can start fresh and not have to worry about the painful stuff.

I like to start with a rough template and go from there. Just having certain FX and plugins on each channel already saves the time of having to go in and pick each one out later.

for me it depends, lately I've preffered to start working the mix before some final vstis or even some slight editing is finished, I get more fired up when I can feel it's getting somewhere good but it's just lacking a couple fixes, and THEN I actually do those fixes. It seems assbackwards I know, but I've naturally done it that way for the last two or three projects I've worked on.