Getting Bassdrops To Work Properly In A Mix??

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
OK so as you all know I been working on this Metal Core project and I am finally in the mixing stage. We finished tracking everything yesterday and I am now up inserting bass drops where the band wants them.

I can get them to sound great in mix but as soon as I export my mix for mastering every time the bass drop hits the comps kick in hard and it ruins everything.....

I am thinking to put a limiter on the bass drops? So you get all the frequencies without the big spike in the mix.... or am I just retarded?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wasn't there talk about this a while back, and how you can let the subdrop be on its own track and sidechain the rest of your mix to it so that the subdrop ducks the mix a few dB? I guess you got it sorted though.

I remember hearing people say to add it in after the mix. I put a bass drop in my last mix and added it in after the mastering stage, and it def helped with mix clarity and not overworking the compressors. Try adding it in after the song's mix or after the mastering like I did.
Mike

I remember hearing people say to add it in after the mix. I put a bass drop in my last mix and added it in after the mastering stage, and it def helped with mix clarity and not overworking the compressors. Try adding it in after the song's mix or after the mastering like I did.
Mike

this. you wanna steer that shit around the master bus, or your limiters will explode with fart.

Subdrops are the last thing I do along with mastering. Getting the level right so that it doesn't fuck with the master compressor is really hard otherwise.

I like the idea that the DB:s drop like hell when the bass drop hits in, for some reason everytime i hear the bass drop on a mix and it's über boomy it kills my ears and the rest of the song sounds like a feather flying on a field on a nice sunny day. BUT if the whole shit docks easily like a 2$ ho, the "fade" that the track mades coming up after the drop's been hit somehow revives the force of the mix itself... sheeeeeeeeesh... oh me.