Having trouble getting a clear mix (OLA Content)

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
I am having trouble getting a clear mix with this Ola project, but I don't think this is project related because this problem comes up for me a lot when mixing. I get a great guitar tone that I like, and then when it comes time for mixing, I screw up the mix. I am not very good at mixing drums and making them sound professional, my guitar work is much better than my drum work, so I'd like to get better doing drums and putting the final touches on the mix. Here is my take on an Ola project which shows what I am talking about.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Ola Test 3.mp3

Just for reference, here is Ola's original mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/ENGL Savage - Metal.mp3

First impressions? What jumps out first?

Didn't have much time so only gave it a quick listen, but first thing that was very noticable is that Ola's kickdrum is much clickier and middier than yours. Your kickdrum sounds like it's almost just bass frequencies, which makes it very muffled for a metalmix. Hope that's a good start :)

Didn't have much time so only gave it a quick listen, but first thing that was very noticable is that Ola's kickdrum is much clickier and middier than yours. Your kickdrum sounds like it's almost just bass frequencies, which makes it very muffled for a metalmix. Hope that's a good start :)

Cool, at least it's the same thing I am hearing over here. Might have to invest in better drum samples.

Here is a quick way to get clarity: find 1 or maybe 2 key frequencies for each instrument, making sure none of them overlap. Take out a few decibels from each of the other instruments for each frequency. You'll lose some punch, but you'll always get clarity.

Guitars are defo masking the drums. Cut, Cut, and CUT those guitars dude! Sounds like you can get away with a pretty healthy highpass of those guitars to let the kick shine through.

Don't be afraid to be aggressive with mids. The drums sound very scooped, but your latest mix is getting much better. The snare needs to have more crack and sizzle, its very dull as is. Keep at it!

Take off all the reverb stuff off the drums and make them sound good when they are totally dry. Then if you feel the need for rev/room add some and notice how the drum sounds do change. Be very careful with reverb on the kick and rather avoid it. Try some compression on the kick to give it more weight. The crashes have lotsa nerve factor. Maybe turning them down would do it already. If not try to cut a little in the 6-8k region.
Guitars are very cool!

Don't be afraid to be aggressive with mids. The drums sound very scooped, but your latest mix is getting much better. The snare needs to have more crack and sizzle, its very dull as is. Keep at it!

I got you. I can assure you that there is no mid scooping going on with this set (Superior 2.0 Avatar set btw) but I may not be accenting the right mids. Right now what you are hearing in the last mix I posted (Ola test 5) I have a wide mid boost right about 600Hz.

Take off all the reverb stuff off the drums and make them sound good when they are totally dry. Then if you feel the need for rev/room add some and notice how the drum sounds do change. Be very careful with reverb on the kick and rather avoid it. Try some compression on the kick to give it more weight. The crashes have lotsa nerve factor. Maybe turning them down would do it already. If not try to cut a little in the 6-8k region.
Guitars are very cool!

Thanks. Yeah I can hear that too now, little too ice pick in the cymbals. I've got comp on the kick and snare, and a heavy limiting comp on the room mics. I added heavy verb to the snare, light verb to the OH, and just some light ER on the kick, nothing major. Thanks for the tips.