MIXING IN THIRDS!!!???????

chuck1703

MYSPACE.COM/BURNINGSKIES
Apr 8, 2006
Bristol
Does anyone know what mxing in thirds is, I've been told that if you know this method your mixes just go bam! (So i've been told).
Any ideas??

Sounds similar to rules of thirds in other media aspects, IE: The rule of thirds in photography/film.

Rivertree_thirds_md.gif

Probably is in reference to the panning of the audio, so that it doesnt cause a subconscious imbalance.

Sounds similar to rules of thirds in other media aspects, IE: The rule of thirds in photography/film.

Rivertree_thirds_md.gif

Probably is in reference to the panning of the audio, so that it doesnt cause a subconscious imbalance.

Ahh yeah, sounds like what he was sayin. He compared photography to it, the guy who told me is the producer who did likes of Craig David, Beverly Knight etc. Aint metal I know, lol, But the guy has serious skills, he said for me to find out, apprently its something you can't get straight away.
??

Na I'm pretty sure he didnt mate, the guy knows his shit.

Well, I know my shit too and I've never heard this term before. Maybe it's something that he came up with that works for him... Definitely not something thats mainstream or common knowledge though.

I believe he is referring to the lows mids and highs. soloing just the lows and making sure that everything sounds clear. Then the mids, then the highs. I know of other engineers who have done this before, but I think it's more for people who aren't good at picking out frequency ranges and need to get rid of alot to be able to hear different areas.

a very common technique is to mix in thirds, referring to groups of instruments

one third = drums and bass
second third = guitars and accompany instruments (piano, keys, whatever)
last third = vocals

do each, as a step

make the drums rock, then make the bass rock, then make them rock together

make the guitars rock, make the other instruments rock, make them rock together

make the drums+bass rock with the guitars+others together

then make all of that, rock with the vox

and you have your self a mix "happening"

a very common technique is to mix in thirds, referring to groups of instruments

one third = drums and bass
second third = guitars and accompany instruments (piano, keys, whatever)
last third = vocals

do each, as a step

make the drums rock, then make the bass rock, then make them rock together

make the guitars rock, make the other instruments rock, make them rock together

make the drums+bass rock with the guitars+others together

then make all of that, rock with the vox

and you have your self a mix "happening"

Isn´t that "regular" mixing? At least when you have a very busy arrangement.