mixing query

the alumnus

Nov 25, 2002
Visit site
i'm using cool edit pro 2.0 to record guitar tracks direct. does anyone have suggestions on how to get a really clear sounding mix? right now i am working with 4 guitar tracks, one panned -100, one at 100, one at -50, and one at 50. it still sounds a bit too dense. i'm sure that this can be resolved. is it a problem with eq, or something else (such as the lack of a bass guitar to give it needed presence).

If the guitars sound dense on their own, adding bass will only muddy it up more.

You definitely need to EQ your guitar tracks. Try bringing down some of the low end, around 100hz on the guitars, chances are, this will give it more clarity, depending on the kind of sound you had before recording the guitar.

Then maybe try dropping a bit around 200hz on one or two guitars, and raising 200 it a little on the others.

Then try dropping around 800hz on the lead guitars, and boosting a bit around 3khz.

These are just some suggestions, and obviously I have no Idea what your guitars sound like. These are just a few guidelines. Essentially, what you want to do is separate the guitars (your pan set-up is a good start, you might even want to try moving the -50 to -25 on both L/R channels). So you want to give the rhythm guitars a certain sound, with certain eq frequecies boosted or attenuated, to get the sound you want. But if all the guitars have the same eq, they're all fighting for the same frequencies, and will sound muddy. Try boosting a frequency on one, and lowering the same frequency on another guitar, to give them their own little space to breathe within the mix. And remember, lowering an EQ frequency is usually preferable to raising it. You may just have to raise the volume of the track a little after you're done eq'ing.

Hope that helps a little...If you want more help, check out the harmony-central.com forums. Lots of knowledgable engineers and producers post there.

Can't say as I don't know what you've got. But another place to check out is homerecording.com. Mixing is a more of an art than it is a science. You're problem could be that all your frequencies are jammed in the mids, or it could be the low end. I don't konw. But one thing to try when tracking (not sure if you did this or not) is to use different guitar tones such as different pickups for different takes or different amp sims. That helps to seperate the frequencies without eqing too much.

Oh, here's another little tidbit I've learned that may help you out. Often times less gain (less distortion) will create a heavier sound when mixed together with multiple tracks like that. If you've got too much distortion you will just get a wall of sound if you start bringing together 3,4,5,etc. tracks of it. Even just a doubler track can get messy.