recording software question

DemonJames said:
Nonsense. The Audigy and Audigy 2 are supported very well in Sonar 2.x/3.0 and Nuendo.

Hell, I used to use a SB Live! not to long ago with little problems and the latency is MUCH worse with a Live! than the Audigy cards.

And if you doubt me, click on the Shadow Demon link below and listen to the audio tracks we have on our web site. Some of those tracks were recorded into an Audigy2. I'll bet you'll never guess which ones. ;)
Not "very" well no. It WORKED in Sonar at best. Latencies weren't spectacular, and using it with Reason made it worse. In Cubase SX it would hardly work at all. Maybe it would work now with newer drivers or newer versions of SX, I don't know, but I'm convinced it ain't brilliant.

I know you can still make decent recordings with it of course, like you did (I did too) but there are way better soundcards. I bought a cheaper one which ended up being much better.

Mattias of the Night said:
Is that thing as good as they make it seem? It looks too cheap to be true!
It is. A friend of mine uses it all the time and loves it. For musicians that really don't want to be audio engineers it's a great way to go.

Mattias of the Night said:
...but there are way better soundcards. I bought a cheaper one which ended up being much better.
Absolutely! I'm not saying there aren't better cards out there. It's just that some may not have the $$ to buy something else and, in general, the Audigy line CAN work just fine.

Some audio recording products out there support some hardware better than other hardware. I can vouch that at least Sonar supports the Audigy line well enough to be very usable. Who can say why you were having issues...

DemonJames said:
This actually sounds like you have the 'What U Hear' (or something like that) enabled. To correct the problem, go into the advanced Volume Control app, select Options -> Properties -> Recording -> OK and then switch the input from 'What U Hear' (or 'Master' or the equivalent) to JUST the input you are using.

i've been searching around and i can't figure out how to do what you are talking about. is this in version 2.0? the help menu has nothing on "what u hear".

the alumnus said:
i've been searching around and i can't figure out how to do what you are talking about. is this in version 2.0? the help menu has nothing on "what u hear".
Just to be clear, this is the settings for your sound card I'm talking about. All Creative Labs cards that I've seen have this (or something along the lines of 'Master') as an option. In Windows XP you can access the sound card manager by Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices -> Advanced. Then follow my previous instructions. If you're not on XP, the path may not be exactly the same but it should be pretty close to that.

If you bring up the Recording Control and you don't see 'What U Hear' goto Options->Properties and see if it's checked there. At any rate, you need to check the input you are using rather than 'What U Hear.'

thank you so much, it worked like a charm. i really liked cooledit's interface and features for what i'm doing, so i'm glad i didn't have to dump it.

Since noone´s mentioned it, I think I´ll go ahead and do it: Emagic´s Logic is the way to go. So don´t listen to anyone that says "Oh, you must go and buy Cubase SX, it is best software ever happen music". Or go with Cool Edit, whatever suits you best. Just not Cubase. Cubase is awful.

Sic out.

U[Sic]M said:
Emagic´s Logic is the way to go.
But it's only for Macs and looks pretty pricey for the feature set.

U[Sic]M said:
...whatever suits you best. Just not Cubase. Cubase is awful.
Yep, I used to own Cubase several years ago and I wasn't fond of it either.

The best advice is start simple and inexpensive. If you really find yourself wanting more, then consider upgrading to a true Pro-Audio package that's compatable with your hardware.

BTW, for those that don't know, Cool Edit is now Adobe Audition (http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/main.html). It's a very nice product. I use it for audio conversion and mastering but not multi-tracking. However, if you want to start inexpensively, check out n-Tracks as I mentioned before.

you were right, i had it connected to the microphone input, when I use the PCs linein instead, it really sounds better
there still is a big problem now:
when connected to linein, i can only hear my guitarsound from the left speaker, the right speaker is dead (all other sound work stereo) while it was stereo when i had the guitar connected to the mic in
what can be the problem???

Hexer, I'm not sure why you'd only hear it in mono. But your guitar amp is probably only giving a mono output anyway, so it's best just to record in mono. It's probably to do with your choice of cables and jacks, if that's any help.

U[Sic]M, I tried Logic on the PC (the last version they made for PC I think) and the latency was awful. Something like 200ms. I couldn't record a thing effectively, no matter how much I played with the settings. I went back to Cakewalk which I've had zero problems with. Other people's mileage may vary.

hmmm....... so I only can record everything on the left channel :erk:
this actually was the reason why I started to use the micin.......
mybe I can in some way "duplicate" my sound, so it will be on both channels??

Hexer said:
hmmm....... so I only can record everything on the left channel :erk:
this actually was the reason why I started to use the micin.......
mybe I can in some way "duplicate" my sound, so it will be on both channels??
Nooooooooooooo, the guitar is a MONO instrument, sending a MONO signal. You must record a MONO track, not a stereo one. Then pan that bitch to the center. Then you can record another track playing the same thing, and you can pan one left and one right, and everything will be SUPA PHAT! You'll be DJ Death Metal!

In case anyone is wondering, by the way, Sic is an ugly stupid-head who is jealous that my Cubase recordings completely WHOOP his shitty Logic recordings.

Latency is underrated. I´ve never had any problems with it when I´ve recorded. Sure, when you play it up alongside the midi it´s a tad delayed, but that's easily fixed by just moving back the whole audiofile a notch. Works everytime. Would be worse if there was latency whilst recording to the click track or something.

Of course, Mattias is lying his head off. Kind of. Real super-hot recording men use mics to record, not a girly POD.

Never use the mic-in on a computer for recording direct-in. The mic-in is built for a mic lol. In fact, I'm not sure about everyone else's comps, but my mic-in only records in mono. Instead, use the line-in jack if you have one, it works so much better.

Also, the guitar is a mono instrument, but when you run it through an amp, and then use the amp's output to record direct, it becomes a stereo instrument.

Pita Bread said:
Never use the mic-in on a computer for recording direct-in. The mic-in is built for a mic lol.
The Audigy we were discussing has a dual mic/line in socket. It's designed for both, with a built-in pre-amp you can switch on for a mic signal.

Also, the guitar is a mono instrument, but when you run it through an amp, and then use the amp's output to record direct, it becomes a stereo instrument.
That depends entirely on the amp. Unless it comes with built-in effects or a headphone socket, I expect you'll find most of their outputs are mono.

U[Sic]M said:
Latency is underrated. I´ve never had any problems with it when I´ve recorded. Sure, when you play it up alongside the midi it´s a tad delayed, but that's easily fixed by just moving back the whole audiofile a notch. Works everytime. Would be worse if there was latency whilst recording to the click track or something.

Of course, Mattias is lying his head off. Kind of. Real super-hot recording men use mics to record, not a girly POD.
Of course latency won't be an issue for amateurs with extremely low demands.

Keep in mind that I'm a pro. Almost.