A noob question regarding recording and software...

Biowaste

\m/
May 7, 2001
Auckland, New Zealand
Hey guys,

I've hooked up with a couple of friends and they wanna start a little side project together. They're a 3 hour drive though, but I figured we could still do some "internet-music-making".

So...... I'm looking into creating the drum tracks for songs using some kind of drum software. I like the sounds of the DKFH and I would like to be able to plug those sounds into and then create whole drum tracks for them to record guitar and vocal tracks over.

Besides having to buy the DKFH software, what other software would I need to look into about sequencing the drum tracks together? I'm looking for something decently priced (if not free), easy-to-use, and highly functional (as far as tempos, time signatures, rhythm "feel", dynamics, ambient effects, etc...). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Biowaste

Heya, all you'll need is a sequencer with VST support to run Drumkit From Hell. Popular sequencers are Sonar, Cubase, Home Studio, etc. Prices can range from $100-$500+. If you're strapped for cash, there's a free sequencer out there called Audacity that'll do the job. Any sequencer worth it's salt will allow you to sequence both audio (guitar, vox, etc) and MIDI (Drumkit From Hell), allowing you to do full productions in one program.

As for dynamics and stuff, that's the responsibility of the person who programs the drums. Programming realistic drums is time-consuming and difficult. If you're a drummer, I think there are special MIDI drumpads you can buy for just this purpose. You use the pads like a drumset, and your playing is recorded in your sequencer and played with DFH.

there are even programms that allow you to actually "play" drums using your fingers and the PC-keyboard. but of course, this will take a bit of time to learn

Hey Human Extinction,
I was reading this thread and thought that I would try out Audacity, and that's a damn fine recording prog - specially for the price ;) Could you help me with one bit in it, though?

Everytime I record the sound takes its sweet time "fading in," and I can't find any way to have it catch the sound I play. Even if the track has been recording for a few minutes it seems like it wants to have the sound gradually come in, when I need it to hit - hard :eek: Do you have any idea what option I'm missing to change this?

Regardless thanks for sharing Audacity,

-Cease