mixing/EQing and processing drums in software for a noob

Santuzzo

Jan 19, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hi there,

I am just starting to learn how to use software such as Superior Drummer 2.0, EZDrummer and I just recently also purchased Addictive DRums since I figured it would be an easier starting point in processing drums than SD2.0 is.

There are many great sounding presets, but I want to learn how to get there from a dry unprocessed drum sound.

Where do I start? Do I use EQ fist? Then a compressor?
Say I want to use Addictive Drums to get a metal drum sound like the EZDrummer DFK expansion (eventhough many of you might not like how it sounds), how would I need to EQ and compress the kit?
Would I need anything else besides EQ and compressor?

I have read some tutorials and I also took a look at some presets but I never know how to start as in what steps to take in what order.

Any help here would be highly appreciated!

Lars

superior sounds excellent out of the box. try the guillotine presets on the close mics and maybe reduce ambience a bit if it's not your thing for that particular mix, or if things sound cluttered.

I think we seriously need a drum programming/processing tutorial, I usually just go with the standard preset and then do a tiiiiiny bit of tweaking but i dont even touch te compressors on cymbals because i honestly can't hear the difference and am probably doing more harm than good. EQ is the only thing i'll lay my hands on

ever since i was a noob i never had any trouble at all getting toontrack drums to sound fantastic. i think you guys are thinking too hard...they're pre-processed enough as it is, anything further should just be to customize the sound to your likings or to sit them in your mix better

Usually noobs will purchase one thing at a time, reasearching it first. Warez kids however dl a ton of shit (not knowing how to use it) and say "I can haz help wit phat beatz?"

I'm just sayin...

Dude, not that it's any of your biz, but I bought all my software.
That being said, I could not care less whether you believe me or not, but if you don't have anything useful to say or don't want to help me, that's fine, but why do you have to post in this thread?:rolleyes:

I'm just sayin...

superior sounds excellent out of the box. try the guillotine presets on the close mics and maybe reduce ambience a bit if it's not your thing for that particular mix, or if things sound cluttered.

Thanks, I know the presets sound fantastic. But the thing is that I want to learn how to mix, EQ and process a kit myself to get that kind of sound.

I think we seriously need a drum programming/processing tutorial, I usually just go with the standard preset and then do a tiiiiiny bit of tweaking but i dont even touch te compressors on cymbals because i honestly can't hear the difference and am probably doing more harm than good. EQ is the only thing i'll lay my hands on

Agreed. Yes, pretty much same here. So far I have only used presets, maybe turn on a few knobs here and there, but not really having a clue what I was doing, but just listening for the results.

ever since i was a noob i never had any trouble at all getting toontrack drums to sound fantastic. i think you guys are thinking too hard...they're pre-processed enough as it is, anything further should just be to customize the sound to your likings or to sit them in your mix better

I get your point, yes. The presets do sound great, as I said above, but I still want to learn how to get there.:cool:

Thanks, I know the presets sound fantastic. But the thing is that I want to learn how to mix, EQ and process a kit myself to get that kind of sound.

Are you asking how to get your self-recorded acoustic kit to sound like the samples in SD2.0, etc?

I think he is saying "I know nothing and I wanna learn everything...how to mix a drumkit, hot to eq, how to process, etc...."
In 4 words "How do mix drums?"

Seriously: do a search on the forum..there are ton of discussions with many trick. It's impossible to explain in a single thread because it's a very big argument and the tricks are practice and experience.

Are you asking how to get your self-recorded acoustic kit to sound like the samples in SD2.0, etc?

No, what I want to learn is how to mix and process the raw drum sounds in the software I have (AD and SD2.0, EZD is already processed).

I think he is saying "I know nothing and I wanna learn everything...how to mix a drumkit, hot to eq, how to process, etc...."
In 4 words "How do mix drums?"

Seriously: do a search on the forum..there are ton of discussions with many trick. It's impossible to explain in a single thread because it's a very big argument and the tricks are practice and experience.

Thanks, I already did a lot of searching and make word docs in which I copied posts that were interesting.

I think I was just wasking for a 'starting point', like what's the best way to start? For instance do I start by just using EQ and adding some compression on the kick and snare?

I could also re-phrase my question to: how did you guys start learning this? Did you read some books or online article, or did you just try the EQ's and FX by turning some knobs and listening for the results?

Thanks,
Lars

What the fuck, I just bought SD 2.0, the metal foundry and NY vol 2 SDX.

I got to say I still don't quite know my asshole from my elbow with it. :lol:

But of course I must have pirated that shit because who spends that much on software and doesn't know how to use it? Sorry but that argument could only be created by a complete idiot. He isn't asking how to use it as a VST or install it (like most morons who steal shit) he is asking how to get it to sound good on his own, no harm.

Nothing wrong with asking for help. Honestly I think this could be a constructive thread.

Why the FUCK are all of these threads turning into morality debates?
:/

To the OP:

Try out some of the threads I referred you to. Most of it is going to be trial and error though. Take some of the raw sounds that you like, stick them in a mix, and tweak to your little heart's desire! That's part of the fun of this profession. Everything you do affects the way your drums will sit in the mix - compression, EQ, automation, levels, panning, etc.

Even what you put on the master bus will affect your overall drum sound!

Experiment with the room mics in SD2.0 if you haven't already. I have never used SD2.0, but with SSD (Steven Slate Drums), the room mics tend to add a lot of nice character!

I hope these help, and just ignore the one's who troll these forums to flame people on piracy.

Cheers man!:headbang::headbang:

I hereby retract my previous statements.
I sincerely would like to offer an apology to the OP and hopes he gets as much help from all of you that I have.
Again, I am sorry.

What the fuck, I just bought SD 2.0, the metal foundry and NY vol 2 SDX.

I got to say I still don't quite know my asshole from my elbow with it. :lol:

But of course I must have pirated that shit because who spends that much on software and doesn't know how to use it? Sorry but that argument could only be created by a complete idiot. He isn't asking how to use it as a VST or install it (like most morons who steal shit) he is asking how to get it to sound good on his own, no harm.

Nothing wrong with asking for help. Honestly I think this could be a constructive thread.

Thanks !

Why the FUCK are all of these threads turning into morality debates?
:/

To the OP:

Try out some of the threads I referred you to. Most of it is going to be trial and error though. Take some of the raw sounds that you like, stick them in a mix, and tweak to your little heart's desire! That's part of the fun of this profession. Everything you do affects the way your drums will sit in the mix - compression, EQ, automation, levels, panning, etc.

Even what you put on the master bus will affect your overall drum sound!

Experiment with the room mics in SD2.0 if you haven't already. I have never used SD2.0, but with SSD (Steven Slate Drums), the room mics tend to add a lot of nice character!

I hope these help, and just ignore the one's who troll these forums to flame people on piracy.

Cheers man!:headbang::headbang:

Thanks, man !

I read through those threads. They are indeed very helpful.

One thing I tired last ngiht was I opened an preset I liked in Addictive Drums and turned off the different parts of the processing one after the other to listen for the effect it has on the raw sound.
But I did that listening to the kit pieces individually, not even while the drums hwere in a mix. But I will try as you said to work on the tweaking while it's in the mix already.

Thanks again!:)