Looking for home studio drum software

Metal Wolf Bill

New Metal Member
Aug 18, 2009
I currently use Cakewalk pro audio 9.0 for my drum tracks.
cwpa.jpg

The drum sounds come from my keyboard via midi.

It works pretty well, but it is all 10 years old now. The strongest aspect of this software is the graphical interface. You can also use it to program keyboard tracks, and change the left column to piano keys.

My main complaint is is that the drum sounds are stored on my old keyboard, which was good when it came out, but is not very metal oriented. To replace this would cost quite a bit, and I'm wondering if there are any self contained software alternatives that do not require an external library.

I'd also like to have better control over the velocity. Cakewalk lets you select each individual note and change the velocity but the process is a bit annoying.

A third problem is that i'd like to filter all the drums that I don't use. That list is 127 items long, and often times, you can't get your whole score on the same screen. I'd like to cut it down to 14 or so.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on more updated software or hardware.

\m/ Bill

I'd definitely recommend Ableton live. It's really easy to use and has in-built tutorials to get you started, and it's as functional as any other DAW (more, in my opinion).

It does come with some drum samples. I would recommend looking for your own samples though...

I think Cubase is the best DAW for drums scoring. Get Cubase 5 and Toontrack Superior 2.0 and you'll be happy.