Help with recording software

Nigel Tufnel

These all go to 11!
Feb 3, 2007
Warren, MI
I've seen a thread on this subject before, but couldn't find it in the archives, so I apologize if this has been covered before. I'm looking to get a proper recording setup sometime in the few months. This ties in with my drum set thread as well. Basically I want to spend around $1000-$1200 to get a complete setup to do home recording, nothing professional, more for fun, but that will do things properly and sound pretty good. In the past I've used CoolEdit on my home PC. That has worked ok, but hard drive space and extras have been lacking. I could record 6-8 tracks, no MIDI, and editing was a total pain. I haven't done much recording lately because it was so time consuming to do it. I'm looking to get a new PC dedicated solely for recording, along with the software and maybe a mixer. I've looked mostly at ProTools, but want to get the best value for my money. I could use help on the software as well as PC recommendations.

Currently equipment:
Two guitars
One bass guitar
Yamaha PSR-280 keyboard (with MIDI input/output)
CAD585 microphone
Line6 POD 2.0
Drums (see my previous thread, looking for recommendations)

Thanks, Dan

Forgot to mention, anyone have experience with a Mac? Maybe just buying a Mac and using the GarageBand or Logic Express(?) software is the way to go.

www.tweakheadz.com explains setting up a studio in full and I think www.studio-central.com is the forum connected to it. I suggest reading the entire tweakheadz website and if you're still stuck on any concept or just want recommendations for equipment from people who've been there, jump on the forums and ask. Good luck.