Recording Setup Help

DEFIED

Nov 6, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I need some help with a recording setup. Im pretty new to recording at home and i have no clue what is good, or how i can set stuff up together. I currently have Magix recording software, a POD XT Live, and thats it. What kind of soundcard should i get, and what type of recording software is best and compatible for what i have. I am also on a budget and something less expensive would be good. Im a total Noob so anything would help me greatly. Thanks!! :kickass:

Depending on what you intend to record you might be able to make due with one of the small two input firewire/usb setups from M-Audio etc. There are a few small mixers on the market that have digital outs as well. If you intend to record a miced drum kit you will need to find something with more inputs.

For software, I've never used Magix, it might fit the bill. If not Reaper is a good and cheap. A few decent mics are essential, other than that, work with what you have until you can afford better.

I do use Magix. The latency times are really good for recording (it's almost unnoticeable) straight out of the box. Supposedly, you're able to use multiple inputs at once with the software, though I have a standard soundcard on my computer so I can't really do that. Of course, I'm only recording one track at a time, so no worries on that. :)

The Magix software, depending on which version you're using, should have built in guitar amplifier emulators, so you can plug directly in, though I never really cared for the sound of it. I run my Line6 Guitar Pod version 2.0 directly into the soundcard for that sound.