Mixing with Plugins on Master Bus?

Element77

Sep 12, 2006
Might be a stupid question, but when setting levels or tweaking sound, do you do this while effecting the Master Out (i.e. Compression, or GClip, or Elephant) or prior?

I know I can get a decent sound, but if I do this prior to putting something on the Master, then place compression or the like, it goes haywire. Bass is too loud, kick drum sounds like a woodblock, etc., etc.

What is the correct way to handle this? Or by placing something on afterwards and having it go to shit a good indication that my mix sucks to begin with?

If you are good at mixing you probably only need about 2-3db's of GR from a master bus compressor, such as Waves SSL, the glue etc. And perhaps a little bit of eq'ing can be nice. I also like a multiband comp on my master.

I guess I should say, I like some compression overall, to make the the mix pump. I'm still learning the in's and out's of compression. I just fart around till it's good to my ears. I'm probably doing it wrong.....
And I'm not good at mixing otherwise I'd know these things!

Just mix THEN master.
I don't mix with plugins on the master out. Never had to and never needed to IME.
Working on your mastering skills takes a long time and is very hard. It took me almost a year just to figure out how to get decent volume without distorting everything.
And it's still a struggle.

Just mix THEN master.
I don't mix with plugins on the master out. Never had to and never needed to IME.
Working on your mastering skills takes a long time and is very hard. It took me almost a year just to figure out how to get decent volume without distorting everything.
And it's still a struggle.

mix bus compression is not about loudness.

I just put T-Racks 3 on my master bus to check the spectrum, pre-master [RMS checking], I'll turn it on/off when mixing, just to check, when going for real mastering, I'll first bounce the track into a stereo track, then open up a new project, and start the mastering process hehe.

I think most mastering engineers would agree that, if as a mix engineer you do not feel comfortable with mix buss compression, please don't use it. If you are familiar with, and can clearly hear the effects of compression, go for it.

If you don't mix with it on it just adds one more phase to the mastering process, if you do then it means a more transparent master will probably result.
Most professional mix engineers seem to have at least an EQ and comp of some kind in their master buss so it can't be a bad thing.

Mastering engineers will normally try to stipulate that you turn all master buss processing off, but this is really just to make sure that a mix is not ruined by someone that does not know how to use compression properly. If you feel OK about it then by all means leave it on, especially if you have been mixing into it for most of the mix process.

I don't put anything on the master while mixing. Kinda defeats the purpose of separate mastering doesn't it? I've always been under the impression that you get the whole mix to sound as you want it on it's own, only then do you dive into the mastering portion.

Yes please explain.

By putting anything on a master bus, aren't you now mastering? I'd rather leave it for a separate mastering process.

What they mean is that having something in your master bus while mixing doesn't mean you're mastering :)

Yeah, but not having plugins on the master bus can always start from 0 :p
Its the same as reamping, a dry signal can be reamp anytime you want :D

Just an opinion huhu.

We've had numerous conversations on this topic here already, one last week and I started one last month that went into detail the exact settings we use, what gear and why we do it.

Anyway. We mix with a compressor on the master because it makes the mix better, and easier. Taking the compressor off makes the mix turn to shit and adding the compressor after the mix is done has a completely different result.

Try it a few times and you'll swear by it. You have to set it up at the start of your mix and build with it pushing back a little.

If you're comfortable with checking the gain reduction levels every now and then of the clippers/compressors/limiters/mb comps/etc in the master buss as you progress on a mix, God bless you.

I don't really see the point of using anything in the master buss while mixing, except for checking stuff every now and then by putting a limiter on it.

Here's my 2cents aka unsolicited advice:

1. Finish a mix, leave the master buss alone.
2. Bounce the mix to a separate session and start mastering.
3. See if you're happy or not. ;)

Gonna help your mixing chops ;)

If you're comfortable with checking the gain reduction levels every now and then of the clippers/compressors/limiters/mb comps/etc in the master buss as you progress on a mix, God bless you.

I don't really see the point of using anything in the master buss while mixing, except for checking stuff every now and then by putting a limiter on it.

Here's my 2cents aka unsolicited advice:

1. Finish a mix, leave the master buss alone.
2. Bounce the mix to a separate session and start mastering.
3. See if you're happy or not. ;)

Gonna help your mixing chops ;)

+1 hehe