MJR's tuning/note choice

tony bologna

Nov 13, 2002
loserville VA
Visit site
I was watching the Guitar Chapter today and at about example #9 where MJR bases a scale off of C and F#, that he is calling the notes by what they would be called in standard tuning. C being at the 8th fret(D string)- in dropped D tuning(which he is playing) this would be A#. Same with the G string... F# is E. Does MJR do this for convenience for applying scales and chords, since most every resource is in standard tuning? I learned the fretboard a whole step down D G C F A D. Therefore I have to transpose everything I learn. And just to make sure I flipped to the end at the Sea Of Lies tapping interlude. He says the chord progression is Emin, C, D, and E.. and sure enough when played in dropped D they are a whole step down. Which one is easier to memorize? Has anyone else noticed this?

tony bologna said:
I was watching the Guitar Chapter today and at about example #9 where MJR bases a scale off of C and F#, that he is calling the notes by what they would be called in standard tuning. C being at the 8th fret(D string)- in dropped D tuning(which he is playing) this would be A#. Same with the G string... F# is E. Does MJR do this for convenience for applying scales and chords, since most every resource is in standard tuning? I learned the fretboard a whole step down D G C F A D. Therefore I have to transpose everything I learn. And just to make sure I flipped to the end at the Sea Of Lies tapping interlude. He says the chord progression is Emin, C, D, and E.. and sure enough when played in dropped D they are a whole step down. Which one is easier to memorize? Has anyone else noticed this?

Well to me, it seems like Romeo is treating his guitar as a Bb instrument, the same way many brass instruments are. Basically Bb instruments sound a whole step lower than what is written. So if a sax player plays a C, it sounds as a Bb (hence why they're called Bb instruments :)). So if Romeo were to play a C on guitar, it would sound Bb since he is tuned a whole step down.

I would NOT learn the notes on the fretboard tuned down a whole step as the actual pitches they sound, but as the position notes, since not every guitarist or every guitar is tuned down a whole step ;)

Yngvai X said:
Well to me, it seems like Romeo is treating his guitar as a Bb instrument, the same way many brass instruments are. Basically Bb instruments sound a whole step lower than what is written. So if a sax player plays a C, it sounds as a Bb (hence why they're called Bb instruments :)). So if Romeo were to play a C on guitar, it would sound Bb since he is tuned a whole step down.

I would NOT learn the notes on the fretboard tuned down a whole step as the actual pitches they sound, but as the position notes, since not every guitarist or every guitar is tuned down a whole step ;)

Thanks, I had the feeling that it was just for ease and universality. As long as he is consistent, I can see that all of his progressions will be a step up and so will his scale, so it looks like I am a dumbass for learning the "dropped fretboard," I better get studying on the standard notes.:D

Yeah, he just says the notes for simplicity sake. It's what they would be if he was tuned to standard E. It's just way to complicated to be converting all those notes. I hate thinking about the names of notes and stuff when I play. Just play and I'll find the notes / chord.