string size for d tuning

guitorture

New Metal Member
Mar 4, 2006
I usually play in e with 9-42s, but I would like to experiment with the d tuning (whole step down)...what string gauge would be acceptible for this? The smaller the better.

I also use 9-42. The dropped strings are a little floppy, but should not effect the overall sound.

However, you could just use 10-46 and they would probably be better.

Hell, 11-48 might be even better than that. Any larger might be a little too big though.

awesome, i'll probably go with the 10s...it seems like 9s might be too floppy. thanks for the quick responses, guys!

I would never go with anything lighter than 10's for D standard. if you use 9's the strings are going to be too loose and your pick attack is going to severely lack definition. (so yes, it most certainly DOES affect your tone).

i like the way 10's feel for D std. 9's are usually too loose for me and tend to not sound as good and defined, in other words: what Yngvai X said

guitorture said:
awesome, i'll probably go with the 10s...it seems like 9s might be too floppy. thanks for the quick responses, guys!
welcome btw. :wave:

I agree with these guys, just that my tremolo bridge keeps that tension for me even with 9's. :) it lowers the action to its minimum without buzzing, which is fine by me as well

I've always like Erie Balls skinny top, heavy bottom set which are 10-13-17-30-42-52...there far less floppy and have nice tone when in D, drop C or Minor 3rd (C#)..I usually use 10's for Eb...

I use 9's, but thats only because I use them on my flying v, which with the strings I use, (D'Addario XL's) they stay in tune through anything, no matter what it's tuned to. But I really do need anoter flying v to keep in D.