tuning

razoredge

Jul 22, 2007
What does everyone tune their guitar too ?

standard
- 1/2 step
- more

obviously drop D if thats what you need to play a certain song but Im really wondering what people use for their conventional tuning. I've always played in standard tuning but I know at least "back in the day" many gig bands played 1/2 step flat. I never even tried it and most songs I picked out seemed to be in standard tuning

my default for all my electrics- standard (I'll go for alternate tunings when needed for gigs/sessions, but it's not necessary most of the time. I had my seven string in standard with my low B dropped down to A. My main classical is in standard (drop D sometimes) and I have another cheap classical that I have in open C# minor for a piece I've been working on on and off for the past few months.

so what are the benefits of dropping the half step or whole step besides the lower fatter sound, I mean I understand all of that. I listened to this thing one of my friends did with a C tuning and dropped the e string down to the A#, yea it was sick sounding, so thats all understandable. But for band purposes I never understood the 1/2 step or whole step thing. Doesnt it mess with the vocalist ? Then if your tuned flat and pick out a song your still playing to the same pitch of the song so instead of say an open E power chord or Em your playing up on the 2nd fret (with whole dropped step) for an E and can not open up that E string or the whole set for a full Em. (if you understand what Im trying to get across). I just never understood the purpose of this so never bothered detuning and with a spring tremolo changing tunings is a big proccess. Or do you learn a song thats standard tuning in standard tune but then everyone detunes for the band and then actually plays a half or full step flat. If so, then whats the benefit ?

benefits:

-the lowerered pitch is the obvious one....if your singer's range doesn't facilitate a certain song, you're stuck either a)relearning it in a new key with totally new fingerings (which will sometimes lead to have to play things up an octave when they shouldn't be), b) canning the tune, or c) tuning down

-it's like a reverse-capo. It's the same reason why certain songs sound way better with a capo (mostly for open position chords to work) rather than re-voicing a chord in a way that doesn't sound as good. Some singers strongly prefer the sound of a certain chord voicing over another. Also, let's say, for example, that you're playing in a 3-piece (drums, bass, and you on guitar) or, even better, an acoustic/vocal duo and you're doing in a song in Ebm (your singer can't sing it in E). You're going to have a lot more space to fill and you're going to find a big sounding open Ebm chord way better sounding than a barre chord in 6th position.

-to emphasize once again....a singer might not have the range or just might not want to sing a song in a particular key. Like it or not, singers will always have the final say in the matter and it's easier for you to tune down than for the singer to magically make a few extra notes appear.

-Color. A lot of people firmly believe that each key has a very distinct flavor to it. The whole "d minor is the saddest of all keys" thing has a lot of merit to some people (in a lot of cases, I'd be one of those people myself). Tuning down can often give something a different character beyond the fact that it's just lower in pitch. You could make a correlation between this concept and how most orchestral string players DO consider F# and Gb to be completely different in more ways than spelling

-This one wont apply to as many people, but when you're on recording sessions, filling in with a band that you're not entirely familar with, playing in a house band, backing up a singer, doing a reading gig, etc.....tuning-down is often an easier and safer alternative to having to transpose a song on the spot. Trust me, if you're on a gig where all you're doing is sight-reading and a tune comes up in the key of Gb, it can be a lot easier to tune down a half-step and read it as though it were in G. Another big one is if a group you're in decides to do a song that you've known for years, but in a different key than you know it...easier to tune down and play the fingerings you've always known than to have to focus on essentially re-learning the tune in real time. I've run into both on several occassions. 2 years ago, I filled on for a friend's jazz combo one time and I only knew about 4 of the songs and was reading the rest. The saxophone player called "take 5" which is in Ebm. Though I'd heard the tune, I'd never played it before. I had to play the melody in unison with the sax and didn't want to mess up because of the key signature, so I tuned down a half-step and read it like it was in E minor. I should note though that this could be a problem if the tune in question has a lot of accidentals in it (found that one out the hard way:lol:).

wow, fucking books written. since meedley already gave all the technical reasons...

I tune to standard (EBGDAE) on my 6 string electrics and one of my acoustics. Never saw any reason to tune otherwise. My 7 string is also in standard tuning (EBGDAEB) and that's how I keep it.

The other two acoustics are in C standard. (CGD#A#FC) I love the depth of it. No other rationale given.

I normally tune down a whole step (ala Romeo)

But currently I'm tuned in drop C (so step down + dropped) because I was feeling incredibly lazy at the time, and haven't bothered to change it back.
Plus I've been playing chords shaped like :

or

which sound a whole lot better drop tuned. Just one of those things. Since I'm incredibly lazy about the whole thing, I don't tend to change tuning too often, which makes playing standard tuned songs (using the bottom string) annoying. But if I'm just fucking around, it's easy enough to play around it.

Tuning down also creates a different feel on your instrument. I tune down more based on the particular guitar. My Jackson feels better tunes 1/2 step down...my Carvin feels better standard...I feel I can simply play my acoustic better with less string tension, so I go a whole step.

Meedles...very thorough...nice explaination. Hurry up with those recordings!:lol:

On electric guitar, I'm mostly on standard, I will tune down 1/2 step when playing some George Lynch or 1 step if practicing some Syx. On acoustic guitar, I use different tunings. I'm a big fan of Andy Mckee. If you check this guy you'll know what I mean.

Thanks guys. Meedley... regardless of where you end up with your personal musical work... your gonna make one hell of a teacher. Well written, Im gonna put it in a file

you guys are making me blush:oops: Thanks though, I appreciate the kind words. Glad I can help...it helps me a lot too. A lot of music-related topics can be really hard to put into words (especially via the internet with no way to actually demonstrate things), so having to explain them that way is great teaching practice for me and forces me to view the same topics from all kinds of different perspectives to better understand not only the topic itself, but how others perceive it. Teaching is something I'm fairly passionate about, so it's VERY flattering to hear your compliments.

As for the recordings....my classical guitar ensemble is performing on the 11th and 19th of December (possibly a conservatory gig in there somewhere too). I know for sure the one on the 11th is being recorded. We're waiting to hear back on whether or not we'll be able to schedule studio time before the end of the semester. The studio time I had booked for both myself and the ensemble is up in the air right now, but it's looking up. I'm really excited though because my good friend (anoother guitar player) and I have gotten the go ahead to start up a new fusion ensemble next semester. My teacher, Bobby Stanton (who can be checked out at www.myspace.com/stantunes .....shameless plug for a an incredible musicians, great teacher, and good friend) who is running the ensemble is really excited about it and has already started planning ahead for some studio time in April/May. It'll be good times.

Wow, thats great news.... FUSION PROJECT :worship:
----------------------------------
Nobody said much about less tension in the strings for bends, natural finger vibe, or maybe easier use of heavier gauge strings ? I'd probably be pushing the E right off the top of the fretboard everytime I tried to shake it. I do occasionally now. I used to play on Ernie Ball 10's/fat bottom (52) and really liked the sound when I changed. I'm using regular 9's now and will be for at least a few more months and thats if my fingers do get stronger and smoother. Having problems with my palm, I think its the thumb joint and most likely arthritis inspired. Not to mention what my life of physical labor has done in general to my hands... I mean clubs.

I really need to get my Vantage guitar together to try other tunings. Its got your conventional Gibson tailpiece and bridge hardware, regular [brass] nut. I really dont want to mess around with my double locker and tremolo spring tension. Problem with the Vantage is its a 24 3/4 scale lenght and the Kramer is a 25.5 and I remember that used to screw me up changing back and forth. I'd get back on the longer scale lenght and find I'd be lazy and not reach far enough for those 6 fret intervals. Something like that... :rolleyes: