Mnemic - Mechanical Spin Phenomena

MegaDan

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver
www.themegalith.com
(As posted on themegalith.com)

This album is nothing that it has been said to be by other reviewers - mainly the ones who have stated that Mechanical Spin Phenomena is a good album. Almost every single song I heard had the same theme: semi-interesting introduction followed by dry, uninspired two-chord riffs, equally dry vocals and mediocre choruses. They kick off the album with "Liquid," a track any other band would tuck neatly away somewhere in the middle as a filler track. It's loud and heavy, with a few hints of techno influence, but is wholley unoriginal. Blood Stained reeks of Linkin Park and the dreaded rapcore, though this theme does not reoccur until "Mechanical Spin Phenomenon." Upon listening to the title track, I realized that the entire album must have been based around this song, and that the record is, therefore, well named. The intro to this song starts out interesing - electronic and original. What follows, however, is pure rapcore. Jumping back up to "The Naked and the Dead," I saw a spark of originality and potential. This is hinted at a few more times throughout the song, but then the album once more gave way to dry riffs and repetitive vocals. It isn't until the final track, "Zero Gravity," that I can once again hear this potential in Mnemic. The first 1:20 of the song is a complete waste of my time, with nothing but ambient noises and other bullshit, but what follows is some of the most interesting stuff on the record. It's space-rockey, reminiscent almost of Pink Floyd (how DARE I?) but a bit more heavy and a tad less inspired. It also contained a lot more melody than the other tracks. Had the rest of the album been written in this style, this review would have been a positive one, and it is this song and this song only that brings the albums score up from one nu-metal rappa out of five to two.