Modded Marshall JCM 800 2203KK - Standard Channel

Simon Dorn

Jun 24, 2012
www.thy-final-pain.com
I made some more clips with my modded Marshall through my Mesa Rectifier Standard, miced with a Sennheiser e906. It was recorded at low volume, so unfortunately there's some string noise coming through, here and there. But not too much. I also have a Diezel VH4 here at the moment. (Clips coming later) And the Marshall is already my winner :)
The (modded) standard 800 channel covers channel 2 and three of the Diezel. But listen and judge for yourself:

Best Regards,
Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds nice and tight. What are your tube screamer settings? I ask because it has that super-squishy sound you sometimes get when you turn the tone on the screamer way up. Sort of characteristic of the Marshall overdrive as well, though.

I have been completely enamored with every clip of the kk800 that Ive heard but the only thing that gets me is the lack of a clean sound on the head. Is there any real workaround for this ? Does it clean up decent if you turn the volume on the guitar down ?

This one is modded so it doesn't clean up anymore. There's not even a clean sound at all, now :)
With the Beast Section on, on the original model you can get a "kind of a" clean sound by rolling the guitar vol. back, but that's all + the noisegate is engaging earlier and makes your sound stutter.
You can get a very good clean sound out of the head, a very good crunch sound and an amazing high-gain sound - one at a time.
You will need two heads :)

Cool, thanks for the info. Ive seen your mention of the mod before, and I think its awesome for what you do. Even the clips Ive heard of this head stock rule though. This amp at high gain is probably my favorite Marshall tone. Sadly I couldnt justify picking one up, I play clean fairly often, and an A/B box setup is just not practical for the gigs I play.

A Mesa dual 3 channel. I boost with an sd-1 although I just picked up that mxr badass od to try something different. Re-tubed recently, I used Lasses recommended preamp compliment and EL34s. Im digging it so far.

A Mesa dual 3 channel. I boost with an sd-1 although I just picked up that mxr badass od to try something different. Re-tubed recently, I used Lasses recommended preamp compliment and EL34s. Im digging it so far.

I'm running my 2010 Triple with the Mesa Grid Slammer. I like Mesas version of the Tubescreamer. Very transparent. I was thinking about putting El34s in the Mesa, but since i have the VH4 with El34 now, i don't see a need for it anymore, atm.