Modelling : State of the art?

Ghilou

New Metal Member
Nov 27, 2011
So I recently realised that a good modelling rig would be just as good, if not better, than my 100watts tube head... I'd like to play such a rig into one of my guitar cabs.

So what's the state of the art?

The best out there would probably be the Axe FX + a Matrix FX power amp. That's a very expensive combo, i'd like to find something cheaper.

How does the line 6 stuff fares? I would be content with the fewer options compared to the AxeFX; I don't need all the fancy tweaking. Plus if I go the Pod HD X00 route I don't have to buy an additional footswitch controller.

I used to have a Zoom multi effect but I disliked it very much.

Are there any other interesting gear and/or combination I might be interested in?

So I recently realised that a good modelling rig would be just as good, if not better, than my 100watts tube head... I'd like to play such a rig into one of my guitar cabs.

So what's the state of the art?

The best out there would probably be the Axe FX + a Matrix FX power amp. That's a very expensive combo, i'd like to find something cheaper.

How does the line 6 stuff fares? I would be content with the fewer options compared to the AxeFX; I don't need all the fancy tweaking. Plus if I go the Pod HD X00 route I don't have to buy an additional footswitch controller.

I used to have a Zoom multi effect but I disliked it very much.

Are there any other interesting gear and/or combination I might be interested in?

If modeling sounds better than your tube head, you probably have a shit tube head. That being said your best bet would bet an Axe FX 2 or a Kemper profiling amp. However you did bring up a Zoom effect pedal so I'm assuming you don't have 2g's to drop? The Line 6 Bogner, contrary to popular belief, sounds pretty killer through a Mesa OS. My buddy plays through one and it sounds awesome, obviously not as good as a real mesa or whatever setting he is modeling, but pretty damn close.

I've been slaving away saving for a Kemper Profiling amp in the hope that it cures my GASing for all the amps my monkey brain sees. I can't really recommend anything per se but I have a friend who swears that the POD HD is great. He gets some good tones out of it and it's portability is a definitely plus. Why not try a few options out?

If modeling sounds better than your tube head, you probably have a shit tube head.

Or bad settings, bad guitar, using pedals that suck, etc. Modelling sounds good, but better than the BEST we've had for years... not there yet.

The Line 6 Bogner, contrary to popular belief, sounds pretty killer through a Mesa OS. My buddy plays through one and it sounds awesome, obviously not as good as a real mesa or whatever setting he is modeling, but pretty damn close.

I got a buddy with that head into a CRATE cab (which he chose over the Mesa OS... guess who bought the Mesa instead :cool:) and it STILL sounds great! That amp is really flexible and is literally the only Line 6 product I can stomach to use. And yes, on my Mesa, the thing can carry it's weight no problem.

The previously mentioned Kemper Profiling Amp is the coolest thing out there right now. If you can afford that, it's a no-brainer!

The Line 6 Bogner, contrary to popular belief, sounds pretty killer through a Mesa OS. My buddy plays through one and it sounds awesome, obviously not as good as a real mesa or whatever setting he is modeling, but pretty damn close.
I had the combo version of this amp and imo it sucked pretty hard..

The POD HD is awesome though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4AQvDOGuqI
Same modelling will be for floor pods X00

Interesting.

I MUCH prefer the POD HD in the Engl models. Sounds way more thick, the Axe-FX has that weird nasally midrange I hear in practically every high gain recording of it. The Recto model is kind of a toss up for me, the POD HD has too much lowend, and because of that is muddy, but the Axe-FX, once again, has that artificial midrange. In this mix, the Axe fits much better on the Recto modeling (at least at the beginning, the POD fits better at the end IMO), but with a few EQ tweaks, i think the POD HD would sound much more realistic.

Hmm...

Might actually have to try one of these now. My Kemper is still keeping me quite happy, but the PODs are so cheap, they'd make a nice rig for going super portable (not that the Kemper isn't already, but in order to go direct, I need the Kemper, plus my MIDI controller... the HD floor model would just require the pedal and that's it).