Modern Rock for 2014

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Here are some modern rock bands I'm enjoying in 2014.

Autumn Burning - st. Nice and melodic vocals with slightly proggy guitarwork. Good song here.

Embers in Ashes - Killers and Thieves. THis band has djentrified riffs and then goes all Toolish. The vocals remain melodic and catchy. Well worth seeking out.

Sumerlin - Runaways. This band is very melodic. The riffs are nice and heavy and a touch from the emo scene but I can look past that when the song is so melodic.

Ideal Zero - In Perfect Darkness. SOft female vocals for this modern proggy dark modern metal band. More Toolisms here but not so abrasive of course. Her vocals are soft but the riffing is hard edged and slightly prog with some modern keyboard effects. Interesting song.

Elysion - Female fronted modern rock with very catchy songs. Very cool melodic riffs as well. Her vocals are not amazing but very acceptable.

Seventh Tower - Path To Follow. TYpical uptempo modern hard rock with cool riffs and powerful melodic vocals and a huge catchy chorus.

Outtrigger - Swedish modern rock. Very nice riffs and a great melodic chorus. Everything I look for in modern rock basically. Some screamy vocals as well but nothing major.

Temple Agents - Find The Place. Strongly influenced by Alter Bridge. The drummer even plays in the band. Great stuff and a must if you enjoy AB.

Devin Williams - Christian modern rock. Nice vocals and catchy hard riffing. Does sound a bit Nickelbacky but better IMO.

3 Years Hollow - The Cracks. Easily one of my fave modern rock bands these days. The vocals are very powerful and melodic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need more stuff like the Tainted Nation you posted about last year. That was fantastic!

Oh right, Venom. But I don't really class those guys as full on modern rock myself. They are pretty classic 80s melodic rock to me but with a few modern traits. You might like Toseland or Night by Night then. Both of them are classic sounding hard rock but with modern traits. Both bands released their album this year. Both really good IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright Fire Breath, I'll give these 2 bands a try. From these 2 videos, they aren't grabbing me like Tainted Nation