Modern rock - How's the mix?

Mesa4x12er

Jan 5, 2008
Guitars, drums, bass, and piano are redone. The only parts I didn't do are the intro/outro swell and fades, the electronic samples, and the vox. It's a 30 Seconds to Mars song so I apologize to the hardcore metalheads ahead of time. ***FOR CLARIFICATION*** The vocal is from the original song. It is not me nor did I record it. It is from a 'Rockband' mogg file.

Mix advice/comments please. :loco:

Damn 54 views and not one reply? It's cool to not be into this kind of music and still comment on the mix. ;) No worries, you'll still be super metal and rust when it rains and shit.:Smug:

Hey dude!! Nice mix, although I think overheads are way hard panned, when the chorus kicks in the crash cymbals are just resonating in one channel, doesn't have that spacial aura to it, which is kind of distracting!

Definitely not my style of music (too mainstream maybe). Production wise I couldn't pick on anything but I am only listening on a laptop. It is completely listenable and enjoyable. This could play on the radio actually, this type of music is quite popular right now as far as I can tell.

I remember this song :cool:
Vocal really like in band.
Your panning is really hard.
i'd like to panned verseguitars and cymbals more to center and add some reverb to it.
Cut some lowmids from bass and make crunch guitars brighter.
Drums burried by guitars, maybe more parallel compression to drums?

Definitely not my style of music (too mainstream maybe). Production wise I couldn't pick on anything but I am only listening on a laptop. It is completely listenable and enjoyable. This could play on the radio actually, this type of music is quite popular right now as far as I can tell.

It is mainstream and is definately a radio friendly song as it did well on the radio. :lol:

zistenostora said:
Just read the initial post again: what do you mean redone? And who the f..ck is Mars? Is this not your own song?

No it's not my song. It's a 30 Seconds to Mars song. That's the name of the band. The guitars, bass, drums, and piano in this clip I tracked. The vox and electronic samples are from a Rockband game mogg file. A mogg file is basically a bundle of studio stems for the game 'Rock Band' to use. So basically I stole the vocals and samples and redid all the instruments myself. Then I mixed it and here it is. :)

CrazyClown said:
I remember this song :cool:
Vocal really like in band.
Your panning is really hard.
i'd like to panned verseguitars and cymbals more to center and add some reverb to it.
Cut some lowmids from bass and make crunch guitars brighter.
Drums burried by guitars, maybe more parallel compression to drums?

The vocal is from the original track so that's why it sounds like it. I tried to do the production similar to the original and they hardpanned pretty much everything so I tried to keep it the same although I agree. My personal preferences don't always dictate being hard panned. Also the drums in the original aren't very prominent, especially in the choruses. I'm probably going to do another mix here soon of it where I do everything they way I like it versus trying to replicate the sound of the original. Thanks for the reply.

jauernis said:
Man everything except the drums kicks arse! The drums need some life too bland, no room, and too low. Can you give a rundown on the guitars? What guitar what amp?

There is actually a decent bit of room on the drums, just not to the point of being noticeable. If I were to just post the skins without the room you'd definately notice something was missing. Usually I use a bit more room, but the original song is super dry. The room is actually more buried than mine. I totally agree about it needing more though.

The guitar was a PRS Tremonti II. The amps were a Mesa 2 channel Dual rectifier and a little bit of Marshall JCM2000 DSL100. All of the leads and overs were the Mesa. The Rhythm was about 75% Mesa 25% Marshall. Everything was boosted with a Fulltone OCD. Thanks for the comments.

TheXRatedDodo said:
Sounds loads like Jared Leto, holy fuck.
nice job

That's because it IS Jared Leto. :lol: I stole the vox and samples from a rockband mogg. I only retracked the rest of the song. Vocals only got EQed and automated. I may try doing the vocals in the future as I can sing similar to that but I have to strain to get as high as he does. Thanks for the reply man!