Modern Thrash

The so called modern thrash has a bit a death metal in it's sound. Sometime in the vocals other times in the lower tuned guitar sound.

When you would compare 80s thrash classics like Slayer's RIB and say Albums of The Haunted you would notice the difference. At least I do.

The above does not mean that everbody will hear the same or even agree with me. I am just giving my view of things. YMMV ;)

Good ex., Hawk. I don't believe any old thrash has a single death growl in it, but a modern thrash sound is almost incomplete without it.

Modern thrash to me is Dimension Zero, Terror 2000, Witchery, Carnal Forge. Not a single one with the clean screaming vocals of regular thrash as Forbidden or Anthrax. I'm not too sure, but I belive modern thrash rarely has a twin guitar lead attack like the old styles of Judas Priest, Exodus, Forbidden...my favorite thrash element.

A modern band with the old sound? Imagika, Invocator maybe, Pathos...

I keep reading things like thrash metal is back in modern form when they talk about bands like Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall and Meshuggah and all of them. I dont they think they should be really called thrash metal though.

Does Nevermore count as modern thrash then? I think Annihilator's recent albums are very modern. Dunno much really.

But I always prefer listning to old stuff like 80's Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, Sanctuary, Tankard etc. Not too keen on Anthrax or SOD. Slayer? They bore me.

Insania said:
Good ex., Hawk. I don't believe any old thrash has a single death growl in it, but a modern thrash sound is almost incomplete without it.

A modern band with the old sound? Imagika, Invocator maybe, Pathos...
And that's why I don't like those "modern" bands. I don't like growls (ergo I don't listen to Death or Black either) on unclean vocals. My limit is a bit blurry sometimes, I like Motorhead, Coroner, Goddess Of Desire, but I don't like Grave Digger or Kreator (but I have some albums of both bands).

Imagika in my opinion is more power metal (or American power metal if you like, damn tags!), but sometimes lines are difficult to draw. I consider Metal Church more thrashier than Armored Saint, but less than Metallica (the band that died in 1988).

Nevertheless I just heard a band called Misery Inc and order their album, they seem to be thrash with a modern approach but clean vocals. I'll review it as soon as I receive it.

Wyvern said:
Imagika in my opinion is more power metal (or American power metal if you like, damn tags!), but sometimes lines are difficult to draw. I consider Metal Church more thrashier than Armored Saint, but less than Metallica (the band that died in 1988).

I have always considered the Howe era Metal Church a thrash band and a damned kick ass one. They didn't release a bad album throughout their career (don't know about Masterpiece) though with either singer.

I don't really know what this modern thrash is though. Most of the new bands I listen to are European prog and power metal. I wouldn't give a nickel for a truckload of death metal. I had enough of cookie monster by the time I was about 8 years old.

Bryant

Modern thrash to me is Dew-Scented, The Haunted, Carnal Forge, The Forsaken... this kind of bands who mix old school thrash and death metal with a modern sound.
I like it but it gets repetitive in the end IMO, sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing one from another.

okay cool, i was just wondering what it was exactly that made modern thrash different from regular thrash...so modern thrash is kinda thrash with a death metal twist, if i am understanding correctly?

MetalMilitia said:
okay cool, i was just wondering what it was exactly that made modern thrash different from regular thrash...so modern thrash is kinda thrash with a death metal twist, if i am understanding correctly?
:lol: Umm right! That's how we should have explained it to you. :headbang:

Bryant said:
I have always considered the Howe era Metal Church a thrash band and a damned kick ass one. They didn't release a bad album throughout their career (don't know about Masterpiece) though with either singer.
Bryant
To me Metal Church is thrash, but some people disagree with me and tag them speed metal, which usually gives me a headache (those tagging discussions).

IMO thrash per excellence is Testament or Coroner, those are my typical examples. But again everyhting is in the ear of the beholder :p

I try to avoid genre labels or musical taste discussions as much as I can. I don't mind discussing politics or religion though :lol:

TheGraveDigger said:
Modern Thrash - Dew-Scented, Carnal Forge, Susperia, The Haunted

Old School Thrash - Flotsam and Jetsam, Forbidden, Exodus, Hallow's Eve

YES!

Wyvern said:
To me Metal Church is thrash, but some people disagree with me and tag them speed metal, which usually gives me a headache (those tagging discussions).
Well Metal Church is thrash indeed... and at the same time they did songs which are far from being thrash, lots of acoustic stuff for example. See Hanging in the Balance for example, is it really a thrash album?
Thus I call them Power Metal ;)

... still excellent music to bang your head & sing along to :headbang:

Fangface said:
Thus I call them Power Metal ;)
You spent to much time with Filipe :lol: :p

I like "Hanging In The Balance" a lot, even "Masterpeace" wasn't that bad (Wayne learn to sing finally).

I still want the "Blessing In Disguise" line-up to do more albums, but is unlikely to happen.:erk:

I prey upon your morbid fear, of terminal disease.
You won’t know the difference, now it’s time for surgery.
Another shot, another pill, two weeks therapy.
I take all major credit cards, your money, is what I need.
/I’m a healer, I will keep you alive. I’m a healer/

I prefer modern thrash, as all that has happened is progression of sound. Its like people who think the beatles are the best band ever... just cos they were like the first band ever. Not many have been as good as the oldschool metallica boys but I think the haunted, nightrage, corporartion 187 and suidakra are all fookin great. Bands like these have such a sweet sound. I dont think nevermore are thrash, they are just really heavy powermetal I.M.O! as a result I agree with what hawk has said to a degree.

Wyvern said:
I consider Imagika very much power/thrash. They definately have that bay area thrash influence in their sound, and they add in tradional/power elements to it. Their are nothing but Power/Thrash to me. Same with Metal Church, actually. I consider them Power/Thrash, as well. They draw equally from both pools. They are BOTH Power/Thrash, in my eyes. And for the record, i also consider ICED EARTH epic power/thrash. Their first three leaning a bit more towards thrash, but still having little power elements, and their later stuff being more power leaning with little thrash elements, but still power/thrash, just one era favors one a bit more for the other.

Fangface said:
[privatejoke]

I didn't, otherwise I wouldn't listen to any flower metal album :p

[/privatejoke]
Touché :wave: