Modulus update

lasercd

Man Behind The Curtain
Dec 26, 2002
www.lasercd.com
Things are finally moving along with the first two releases on our new Modulus imprint:

1. Het Pandorra Ensemble - III
2. Randy Roos - Mistral

It looks like they will be released simultaneously - I expect sometime in December depending on how long manufacturing takes. Het Pandorra Ensemble is packed with bonus material and sounds significantly better than the original album.

Bob Katz just finished mastering Randy Roos' overlooked gem from 1978. The master tapes were in pretty good shape and Bob was able to work his magic with them. The album sounds great. Unfortunately no bonus material. Packaging for Mistral will be relatively sparse as Randy lost all of his archival photos in a fire many years ago. He is writing some liner notes for the album.

As originally announced the Modulus releases will be in limited editions of 500 copies. They will be presented in Stoughton Printing mini-LP sleeves replicating the original artwork. They will be hideously expensive but worth it.

Here's an update in case anyone is still following along...

The following titles are scheduled for a March release:

MOD5001 Het Pandorra Ensemble "III"
MOD5002 Randy Roos "Mistral"

Bob Katz handled the mastering for both albums from the original analogue master tapes. The sonics are more than I could have hoped for. Het Pandorra Ensemble has quite a bit of bonus material. Randy's album is "as-is". Pandorra has liner notes written by Dolf Planteijdt and Bill Milkowski wrote the liner notes for Mistral.

The reason for the long delay is actually pretty simple. We've never manufactured mini-lp sleeves before and its a much more complicated process than a standard jewel box or digipak. The technical issues have been resolved and the jackets are in manufacturing. Because its a hand done process it takes quite awhile. With the year end holiday slowing things up I think its best to conservatively set a release for March so that we can get our ducks in a row with the limited dealer/distributor network we are establishing for the label.

Final cost will be determined soon and we'll take pre-orders in early February. Both releases are limited editions of 500 each.

We are working on some interesting reissue titles - hopefully mind-blowers for some of you. If one of these in particular pans out we may have unlocked the keys to the kingdom. Hopefully details to be announced very soon.

Ken Golden

Ah, I remember reading on CDRWL about it. Very nice, I like good fusion albums. Will it be a nice gate-fold mini lp like Het Pandorra?