MOGWAI?

Guttmann

Jan 30, 2007
Does anyone know this band? Ive just bought their CD (Government Commissions) and it is awesome, although not much info. it is some kind of prog-rock, really nice...

Official Site:
http://www.mogwai.co.uk/

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogwai_(band)

I really like these guys. They're often pegged as one of the for-runners of post rock, and have thus had quite an effect on the post-metal genre as well...

If you're into their sound I would suggest bands like Pelican, Red Sparowes, and possibly some of the stuff that influenced them like My Bloody Valentine.

Love and Peace

Rorix

government commissions is a live album right? haven't heard it

anyways, one of my favorite bands.

It says on the front "BBC sessions 1996-2003", so I guess it is.

I would suggest bands like Pelican, Red Sparowes, and possibly some of the stuff that influenced them like My Bloody Valentine

Sure am gonna give them a listen :) thanks.

government commissions is a good starting place, but isn't an album by any means, just various BBC recordings sessions. one of my favourite bands, and deffinately the band to get into for those looking to explore post-rock a bit.

Go pick up Come On Die Young, it's an incredible album. Still heaps better than the vast majority of post-rock/post-metal albums of recent years.

The soundtrack they did for the Zidane movie this year (last year?) was quite good too.

Yeah, I've got the Zidanne album, and it's pretty good - though it's very calm and laid back. Doesn't have any of Mogwai's "crazy" moments. In fact, I don't even think the guitars have any distortion throughout the whole album. It's very cool chill music.

Other than that I have the newer one Mr. Beast, which is not bad at all - in fact quite enjoyable. But I don't understand why everyone thinks so highly of Mogwai when there are so much better bands in the genre (or at least, the little of it that I know).

The song with the guy from envy on it 'I chose horses' from the Mr Beast album is one of the coolest most chilled out pieces of music ever!

It says on the front "BBC sessions 1996-2003", so I guess it is.

Sure am gonna give them a listen :) thanks.

might I also recommend Godspeed you Black Emperor! Definitely get a hold of their album "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" . Probably my favorite post-rock album overall.

and some other similar bands I really like that I'd recommend:
Mono (can't stress enough how amazing this band is)
This Will Destroy You
65daysofstatic
Sigur Ros

and some other similar bands I really like that I'd recommend:
Mono (can't stress enough how amazing this band is)

I have to agree (even though I only own One Step More And You Die, it's quite good).

Though I have to say my favorite band from the genre is probably Explosions In The Sky, though if Red Sparrows release more they may be up there as well.

after giving a listen to Godspeed! you Black Emperor, im now definitely hooked on to Post Rock. although im not sure about the name of the genre, Id probably call it neu-psych or something.
AMAZING MUSIC!