Monitorsss

4yearstrong

New Metal Member
Mar 29, 2011
Hey guys, new here. I've been on ultimate-guitar for years now but found that this forum is full of (for the most part) people with greater knowledge in the recording sector of music. I've never had a set of monitors. I don't have a lot of money to spend on music gear and I am going to college in August. Figured it might be time to invest in some. Again, college kid = little money. I'm not saying i'm gonna be looking for m audio studio pro 3's or anything, i've done my research, but I want your opinions. As of now, I am interested in the KRK rp6 g2's and the m audio bx5a's. No interest in the krk rp5 g2's because i hear they really lack on the low end. I play (please don't frown upon me) pop punk/hardcore. Bands that my music sounds like includes Four Year Strong, Set Your Goals, The Wonder Years, a LITTLE hint of a day to remember. What do you think would be the best option for me?

I'm looking into getting them during the memorial day sale at guitar center (assuming it is 10% off any single item). This is what I was thinking...

KRK rp6 g2 - Price match at guitar center for the $162 each price at B&Hphotovideo. (I've checked and they will do price matches from that site). The 10% off any single item would bring me to $146 each. I have two guitar center gift cards. One for 20 and one for 10. So if I get two krk rp6 g2's at $146 each, and use the 30 dollars of credit, the pair would be $262.

M audio Bx5a (sold as pair) - Price match off Amazon or some other sites for $235. 10% off sale would bring it to about $211. With the guitar center gift cards, I'd just have to pay the remaining $181.

THE BIGGER QUESTION is which pair would serve me better for my punkish tastes? I've heard great reviews of each and I've heard bad reviews of each. Some say KRK scoops there mids dramatically, some say Bx5a is too colored. What do I do?

EDIT: Also, no worries guys, I do listen to heavy stuff. I just have a tendency to record punk.

The KRK's without a doubt. TBH, I use the RP5 G2's, and in the right environment, they have plenty of low-end reference. But if you can get the 6's for that price, go for it. I've used the Bx5a's and never gotten even decent results. Everything I tried to mix on them, and everything 2 of my friends tried mixing on them always came out muddy and unbalanced. Just my experience.

The KRK's without a doubt. TBH, I use the RP5 G2's, and in the right environment, they have plenty of low-end reference. But if you can get the 6's for that price, go for it. I've used the Bx5a's and never gotten even decent results. Everything I tried to mix on them, and everything 2 of my friends tried mixing on them always came out muddy and unbalanced. Just my experience.

Thanks for the input! lol monitors are such a struggle. Some people rave about how bx5a's are easy to mix on and krks have no mids so its hard and vice versa. tough to pick tough to pick. I know a lot of people say to go try em out...but not ever having monitors before..anything better than gateway 2000 computer speakers is gonna sound like angels.

I would say use those GC cards for strings/picks/sticks or whatever little crap you need. Buy your monitors used off craigslist or ebay and you'll save a ton of cash. Everyone here seems to love the Yamaha HS50M & HS80M

I have been using 1st gen KRK Rokit 5's for a long time and the biggest problem for me is that they are kind of undefined and 'blurry'. I did quick test between some monitors at a guitar center and I noticed that the yamaha's did sound a bit more clear. and the 8's definitely had more bass than i've got on these 5's.

Four Year Strong is one of my favorite bands, so no worries ;)

Anyway, I don't personally think that musical style reflects the monitors you should get, unless you are recording super bassy hip-hop stuff...
I have Yamaha HS80s and LOVE them, but they seem to be a bit out of your budget ($700 for a pair), but see if you can scrap some used for cheap.
HS50s are $400 a pair (I think), but they lack alot of lowend in my experience.
Just keep doing research, and most importantly, TRY THEM OUT BEFORE BUYING! Seriously. Everyone's ears are different.
But the most important thing (in my opinion) is knowing your room, your speakers, and surroundings. Just because you buy a $4000 pair of Genelecs, doesn't mean your mixes will sound any better.
As long as you know your room and speakers, you can create a great mix on really any decent pair of monitors. Get some cds that you think are absolutely phenomenal mixes, and listen to them on your new speakers day in and day out, until you feel that you know your speakers/room enough. I've had my monitors for over a year, and I'm still trying to get to know them.

Cheers, and good luck on finding the right monitors and also good luck on your college career ;).

I have been using 1st gen KRK Rokit 5's for a long time and the biggest problem for me is that they are kind of undefined and 'blurry'.

Those issues are solved with the Gen 2's. I hated the Gen 1's. My G2's are a night & day comparison in regards to the old Rockits. And I honestly don't know why people constantly suggest the Yamaha HS series before knowing what kind of room the OP is in. Rear ported monitors will cause nothing but problems if you can't get them far enough away from the wall. The Yammys ARE great monitors, but they are harder to get under control in an untreated or cramped room than the KRK's IMO. (The RP G2's are front-ported with high-end controls.) And I honestly haven't heard this deeply into a mix on any monitors since NS10M's. I don't feel like the HS series delivers that depth. Maybe the Yamaha MSP's do? I've been wanting to hear them.

To the OP: Really though, I stand by what I said in my previous post. Less than $300 is a great deal on the RP6G2's and if you are in a not-so-ideal listening environment, I think they will serve you the best out of anything in the price range.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! Vinny, glad you love four year strong. Such a great band. I like their older stuff more though. And Tommy Gun, thanks for your input! The rear ported monitors piece of advice really made me think a lot. If i was willing to cough up the cash to get krk rp5 g2's or krk rp6 g2's, what would be better for me? I will be working in small rooms... either my bedroom or a dormroom if that helps. I've head that the rp6's are really hyped in the low end whereas the rp5's might lack a little lowend, and I mean, I would rather lack it than have everything sounding too bassy. Advice?

Just chiming in to say the Krk's would be better. I Don't have a pair of the bx5a's but I'm pretty sure most would recommend the rp6's g2's as well.

I have a pair here and my only problem is that the high end is very prominent in them even with the 2bd roll off it isn't enough. this could just be my untreated room but I wouldn't buy them again. most of my first mixes end up really dull because I think an abundance of high end is in the mix but sadly it isn't. this can sometimes distract you from monitoring the low end correctly.

again this could be my room but that's my 2 cents anyway.

Should also mention. I'd prefer the extra low end and for the price I bought the krk's at the time it was too easy to just say yes.

Main thing to remember is learn your room, learn your monitors and your ears. If you notice you bounce a mix out, listen in your car,ipod or something else familiar and it sounds bassy then you should now know to compensate for that next time you mix.

Should also mention. I'd prefer the extra low end and for the price I bought the krk's at the time it was too easy to just say yes.

Main thing to remember is learn your room, learn your monitors and your ears. If you notice you bounce a mix out, listen in your car,ipod or something else familiar and it sounds bassy then you should now know to compensate for that next time you mix.

thanks for the input joelplagues! Much appreciated! I definately agree that recording will have to be checked through other speakers that are more commonly used. But for a small dorm, I just feel the 6's might sound a little too bassy bouncing off the walls? Maybe?

Yeah, you may want to go with the 5's man. That would leave you the extra money to get MoPads and monitor stands for them. In a dorm room, the 6's could very well produce too much low-end reflection. I get plenty of low-end from my 5's. They are in much larger cabinets than most 5 inch monitors which helps produce all the low-end you could need for anything rock-oriented, if your ears are good enough.

Either way, when you first get them, they'll need to be "broke-in" or "opened-up", so to speak. Basically take a great mix (i usually go with "Back In Black") and crank the piss out of it through the monitors until you hear the midrange open up (they'll sound scooped at first), then keep them cranked for a coupled more songs to be sure. It should take at least 20 minutes or so. Too many people don't do this with their new monitors, especially first-time buyers, and they wind up complaining that they hate the sound of a monitor that might get great reviews from pros.