Mono / Pelican / Russian Circles - Louisville, KY - 06/11/06

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Mono / Pelican / Russian Circles
Headliner’s Music Hall – Louisville, KY – June 11th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

I didn’t know what to expect from Russian Circles, but I figured since they were on the bill with two other instrumental groups that they’d be vocal-less too, and I was correct. Hailing from Chicago, the trio blazed through a rousing set, with their debut Enter resembling Tides’s Resurface due to the significant presence of a light/heavy dichotomy. For reasons I still fail to understand, Louisville embraced the three-piece as if they were natives. They played well and were energetic to boot, but I couldn’t quite grasp why the audience was so enthusiastic. At any rate, I was glad we welcomed them.

After picking up a copy of March into the Sea EP on a whim – the reputation of Pelican preceding the purchase – the quartet became one of my favorite instrumental outfits, if not one of my favorites overall. I quickly grabbed their back catalog, and then The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw assaulted my senses, leaving me no choice but to crown it third best album of 2005. So you can imagine how ecstatic I was to see the quartet in my hometown. Louisville, however, was evidently not as impressed. Though the set suffered from a heckle or two, Pelican were nearly infallible, touching briefly on Australasia and other records. Out of a six-song set, despite being acquainted with their entire discography, the only tunes I actually knew the names of were “Autumn into Summer” and “Last Day of Winter,” both of which appeared on The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw. They also tacked on an untitled new song – yeah, it was great.

Watching Pelican in a live setting led to a small feeling of disappointment because I knew I could never experience them live, for the first time, ever again. While the instrumental crew don’t put on a show that I’d call thrilling or riveting, the music is as strong as can be, and the individual performances were practically flawless during said event. Sadly and strangely, the crowd wasn’t what you would call receptive. To make a conjecture, most people were there to see Mono, but I left following my stocking up on Pelican merchandise (vinyls, T-shirt, etc.). I’d see ‘em again if I got the chance. It’s just that the live experience doesn’t quite measure up to the spells that the studio material – alone – is capable of casting. I definitely enjoyed it, though, and I’d recommend them if you’re an admirer of their work.

Official Mono Website
Official Pelican Website
Official Russian Circles Website
Official Headliner’s Music Hall Website

Dang, that must have been an amazing show. I saw Pelican with Mono and The Life and Times on 6/10 at the Metro in Chicago. Mono was jaw-droppingly amazing! Their 45 min set was comprised of 3 songs off their latest, "You Are There." Each song sounded identical to the albums' recording, but louder and so much more emotional. I will never forget that performance. Pelican was also great...they played a new song which sounded like they're pursuing their melodic side even further e.g. their most recent release (as opposed to the doom-metal side of their EP and debut), which clocked in around 10 mins.

Really wish I could have seen Russian Circles. While at times their sound is somewhat derivative (some parts of their debut sound like Explosions In The Sky, some parts sound like a Mogwai/Pelican mix), they do bring a post-hardcore influence into their post-rock/'instrumetal' mix, which makes things very interesting at times (check out 'Death Rides a Horse' for an example of this fusion). All three are awesome bands! :headbang:

You crackhead! You didn't stay for Mono?!

I was lucky enough to see Pelican and Mono together as well (although last year, in Japan) and both bands were fucking excellent. Mono do some really beautiful stuff, both live and on CD.

AshDLS said:
You crackhead! You didn't stay for Mono?!

I had told a friend, who wasn't in attendance, that I'd meet up with him after Pelican played, and due to the delays I was late enough as it was, so I just couldn't stay to hear Mono. :erk: