The Photographic / Unwed Sailor / J. Tillman - Louisville, KY - 06/21/06

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Photographic / Unwed Sailor / J. Tillman
Uncle Pleasant’s – Louisville, KY – June 21st, 2006
By Jason Jordan

Akin to every other show that has come to pass, or will, this one began late. J. Tillman – a solo artist armed only with an acoustic guitar and his own vocal chords – took the stage, and played a handful of songs that were suited more for background music rather than foreground entertainment. Though equipped with talent in both areas he chose to explore, the crowd tired after four or five songs, but thankfully Tillman cut his unplugged set to accommodate. The momentum simply wasn’t there.

Tillman excelled, however, when he ascended the drum throne as a member of the five-piece Unwed Sailor. Considered migratory and underground to a certain extent – despite numerous full-lengths and EPs – the instrumental indie rockers played well. Their songs were fairly engaging, yet lacking in the category that arguably matters most in a live setting – memorability. As the majority of the audience slowly lost interest in their material, I paradoxically became more enraptured with what they had to offer. Transfixed, it was as if I was hanging on every note and beat that poured from the entity. By the time Unwed Sailor concluded, they had hooked me, but again, it was difficult to remember specific songs. Sadly, their EP Circles didn’t do much for me on the car ride home.

Uncontested was the fact that the crowd was there to see Louisville-based, instrumental post-rockers The Photographic. It was my first time witnessing their live show, and it was absolutely riveting. In addition to offering post-rock garnished with electronic effects and an occasional ‘80s vibe, the duo composes a visual band. Chad Blevins (drums) and Jamey See Tai (guitars, electronics) were seated on opposite sides of the stage, but in the middle rested a projector hooked up to a laptop. With the lights completely out, the slideshow – comprised of video footage, still photography, and things of a similar nature – was not necessarily the focal point at all times, though it added to the mood considerably. The Photographic come across not as uppity, pretentious art nerds, but as tasteful appreciators of both film and music, the two colliding to produce captivating results and a superb finished product. It’s difficult waiting for a full-length record from such a wonderful team because I expect great things. That’s all that can be done, though.

Official J. Tillman Website
Official Unwed Sailor Website
UM’s Unsigned Spotlight with The Photographic
Official The Photographic Website
Official Uncle Pleasant’s Website