Montreal Metal

sdmf2

May 17, 2006
Toronto, Canada
www.myspace.com
so, I'm going to Montreal for the first weekend in may and apparently its the Metal capital of North America. anyone know of any good shops, venues, hangouts, etc in Montreal or the surrounding areas that one might wanna visit?

You guys are lucky to live so close to a hub. I'm stuck up here, where the best bar has 40 year old strippers and no tables.

Some day I'll have to make my way to Quebec and Toronto for a vacation or something.

I've also heard this, many bands make it their only non-European stop. I'd love to get there one day.
i don't know about many. most of the bands that play montreal also come to Toronto.

and yeah Profusion is a great store (or at least from their email lists it seems that way). they haven't responded to my last email though, so i guess i should send another to Remi

As a Quebec resident I heard that too, the crowd is insane from the start to the end, I dont think we can see that in the streets though...the mood is when the show begin hehe

does anyone know of booking contacts in montreal? does the apocalypse company promote or just do live recordings?

First of all, I must admit I am biased. I was born in Quebec city and lived there for 20 years before being forced to move to Montreal to continue my studies. I believe the metal capital of North America is Quebec city. Sure, it's a small city... some call it the biggest village of Quebec. There are fewer metal shops than in Montreal and there are certainly fewer bars that play metal than in montreal, if any. However, if the crowd happens to like the band that's playing, half of the audience that would attend the same show in Montreal will be twice as noisy. That's no joke. Rimouski and Trois-Rivières, as small cities, are also underestimated compared to the metropole with way too much people that is Montreal. Of course metal seems more popular in Montreal, but its population is at least twice as big.

If I were in a band playing in Montreal, I'd certainly take a 250km ride to play in Quebec city the day after (wink wink WOY).

For any booking in Quebec city, go to www.capitaledumetal.com.

So only if the band coming through is a fan favorite will the (smaller by half that of a Montreal show) crowd be super dooper noisey? Sorry, that does not really do much to back up your feelings the Quebec City is the metal hub of North America... especially with the lack of metal shops and bars/pubs that would play metal.

You guys should have crowd offs.... Kinnda like a dance off, but not.

Ahhhh okay... here's my input:

Is Montreal (my hometown btw) the metal capital of North America?

Unless I've attended shows in every other major North American city, I don't think I would be able to judge.

What I can say about Mtl is that we certainly do draw huge crowds at shows, local bands included. There are a lot of loyal fans in the sense that they will support bands by purchasing their cds, attending their shows, and so forth. As well, there are a lot of talented bands in Montreal and surrounding areas. Plus, Mtl is a great city to visit so bands like coming here not only play shows, but to learn about our cultures (French, European, etc), meet other metalheads, shop, etc.

Speaking of shopping, some great places to visit to purchase cds/records/shirts/etc would be:
Labrynth, on St-Catherine St.
Freeson, on Mont-Royal St.
Profusion, on Ontario St.
You'll have to google them for exact locations :p

Well I do hoep you enjoy your stay in Montreal. I found out yesterday that WOY are playing a show here on August 12th and I'm so hyped now! :headbang:

Any details about this show? Who's promoting it and where will it take place?

Can't miss WoY!

Indeed, lots of people have been calling Montreal : The metal capital of North America.
" Capital " or not, it's true that Montreal is a great city for metal :headbang:
It's not rare to have sold out shows... even on a week night.
We got lots of shows that are well organized ( so that must surely help...) !!

by the way, David, what is the touring plan ( if any ) for Woods of Ypres
in 2008 ?

Montreal ???

Montreal is pretty damn awesome. I'm moving there this summer, can't wait! Cheap rent, cheap booze, cool people, cute french girls... not to mention, a hockey team that makes the playoffs :)

On that note, do they have a local online metal board (something similar to the bravewords.com board to Toronto) for Mtl? I remember L'Edition Metallique used to have a big crowd but it seems a lot slower these days...

Indeed, lots of people have been calling Montreal : The metal capital of North America.
" Capital " or not, it's true that Montreal is a great city for metal :headbang:
It's not rare to have sold out shows... even on a week night.
We got lots of shows that are well organized ( so that must surely help...) !!

I agree that Montreal is a great city for Metal but, i don't think it's The Metal Capital of North America.

Quebec City is the real Metal Capital in Canada, even Trois-Riviere is better then Montreal. To me you can discribe a Metal Capital by the Spirit of the town not by the amount of shows. Actually there's more heavy metal shows in Quebec City then Montreal.

By the way, Trois-Rivieres MetalFest 2008 is on again this years, November 7 & 8. You can go on trois-rivieres metal website to vote for the band you want to see. The tickets not on sell right now but believe me that i would be ready to by my 2 Days Pass soon as they are on sell.