Moonsorrow - Tulimyrsky

The only new Moonsorrow track on this disc is the the 30 minute opener, which is boring as fuck, and just brutal to try to sit through. The cover of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" may be the worst cover I've ever heard. There's two other Moonsorrow songs, both of which are 2008 remakes, and a cover of the Merciless song, "Back to the North".

Zod

I liked the 2008 remakes the most. The opener WAS boring as fuck, they need to stop dragging out these songs, it only worked with Ruoniolla. Back To The North was decent, but overall this EP isn't worth a dime.

The only new Moonsorrow track on this disc is the the 30 minute opener, which is boring as fuck, and just brutal to try to sit through.

Agreed - it's just a chore and a half and the complete opposite direction I was hoping they'd head in. Like I indicated in our email thread, I'm hoping they've finally had their fill of making tracks like this, which is why they decided to release an EP instead of putting the track on a forthcoming full length.

They need to return to the 10-12 minute format that made me such a huge fan of the band in the first place. Time will tell.

Zod said:
The cover of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" may be the worst cover I've ever heard.

The vocals make it that way, that's for sure. The music is cool, but the vocals are so horrid, it detracts from any enjoyment.

Zod said:
There's two other Moonsorrow songs, both of which are 2008 remakes, and a cover of the Merciless song, "Back to the North".

All three songs are well worth your time. The two remakes illustrate very clearly why their earlier style was so effective. The final cover track is awesome and is everything the Metallica cover is not. Trust me, check it out.

Jason

Moonsorrow = Verisäkeet

The former ones are undermined by jollyfolk, the latest album was 20% great and 80% useless at best.

I'm not gonna bother checking this EP, it seems.

for some reason moonsorrow is the only band i can stand that goes that deep into the jollyfolk

but the horse/battle samples in sankarihauta are so goddamn epic, i can't resist! must....raise......fist.......

The vocals make it that way, that's for sure. The music is cool, but the vocals are so horrid, it detracts from any enjoyment.
The vocals are so bad, I honestly didn't notice the music. And quite honestly, certain songs shouldn't be covered, certain movies shouldn't be remade. This is one such song. So for me, it fails on all levels.

All three songs are well worth your time. The two remakes illustrate very clearly why their earlier style was so effective. The final cover track is awesome and is everything the Metallica cover is not. Trust me, check it out.
Still haven't had a chance to listen to those. Queuing now.

Zod

The vocals are so bad, I honestly didn't notice the music. And quite honestly, certain songs shouldn't be covered, certain movies shouldn't be remade. This is one such song. So for me, it fails on all levels.

Agreed. I can understand the merit of covering something much more obscure (or even a more obscure song by a well known band), but to take an undeniable classic like FWtBT and covering it on an official release is pointless to me. It's impossible to make a newer version of the song that will stand up to the original, and if you're able to make a version that sounds close to the original, so what?

Don't mess with the classics.

moonsorrow's second demo RULES and much less jollyfolk than the debut and that's all i care to know about this band