Moonsorrow's "Kivenkantaja"

General Zod said:
Quite a disc. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about these guys around here. Thoughts?
We talk about them from time to time in this forum. Kivenkantaja appeared in two of our top 10 lists of 2003 - one of them being mine. :cool:

Several folk here prefer Voimasta Ja Kunniasta, although I find it hard to compare them because Voimasta isn't quite as drawn out and epic as Kivenkantaja. I probably like both equally to be honest.

I've not heard Suden Uni, but I do own their demo, Metsa, which I got from Erik. Yeah, Moonsorrow get some respect around these parts. :Smug:

I'm one that prefers Voimasta. It reminds me more of Finntroll who I also like. Kind of a more beer swilling Viking metal than Kivenkantaja.

Kivenkantaja just tries to sound too serious, and that is where it failed. Falkenbach, Moonsorrow are not.

I think Falkenbach is eons ahead of Moonsorrow, but I still rate Moonsorrow very highly in the Viking metal ranks. Falkenbach just dwarfs everyone else. But I do prefer Moonsorrow over all other mead-drinking sounding viking bands.

THe Viking band I'd rate second is Hades. The Dawn of the Dying Sun is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

i find moonsorrow too majestic acutally, i think it takes the edge and aggression of the music. i've only heard vomiastaa but i assume that the latest is not very different, or?

Dreamlord said:
I think Falkenbach is eons ahead of Moonsorrow...
What would you recommend by them? Keeping in mind, with more extreme acts, I tend to gravitate more towards their newer material, because I HATE CDs that sound like they were recorded on a $5 budget. I know some feel that sound adds an extra element to it, but I just don't hear it that way. Thanks.

Zod

By Falkenbach you mean? Well, you can't go wrong with any of the three releases, but the latest two are much less extreme with very few moments of black metal vocals, whereas the debut (the best IMO) is much more grounded in black metal, but still manages to be very epic in scope.

Zod - although I agree with Dreamlord about their debut, knowing your tastes I would make your way backwards with Falkenbach. Start with Ok Nefnar Tysvar Ty. Trust me on that one.

spaffe said:
i find moonsorrow too majestic acutally, i think it takes the edge and aggression of the music. i've only heard vomiastaa but i assume that the latest is not very different, or?
Shit man, if you thought Voimasta was too majestic then you'll think Kivenkantaja is a Spielberg movie soundtrack.