Moonspell-The Antidote

Triumphant Apostle

Disciple Of The Watch
Dec 8, 2001
St.Paul, MN
Visit site
I'll start off this review with three words: RETURN TO FORM! Moonspell has always experimented and you either love the baritone vocal mixed with a death metal growl, or you don't. So if you are not a fan of anything they have EVER put out, I will tell you right now no matter how good I think this album is, it probably will not change your mind. The baritone vocal is still present but is used more effectively here.

I first got into them with 1996's brilliant Irreligious album. At first I didn't really care for the baritone vocal but it soon grew on me like a fungus and I fell in love with the band. They are excellent songwriters and definitely have their own sound, but I think sometimes they have tried to experiment a little too much. 1998's Sin album was where they really started to change their sound. The death growls were almost completely gone and they went with a more straightforward approach to songwriting. I personally loved that album but I have to admit that I did miss the heavier moments.

They released The Butterfly Effect in 1999 and brought some of the agression back but they incorporated an almost industrial sound in the music that I wasn't very fond of. There were some good songs, but all in all I wasn't very impressed. In 2001 they released Darkness And Hope which to be honest was not a very exciting album either. I got the feeling that they were going through the motions on that one and was just about ready to give up on the band completely.

I'm very glad I decided to give them one more chance because The Antidote ranks right up there with Irreligious and Wolfheart (their second release) as my favorite albums in their catalog.

The first thing I noticed was how much agression they have brought back. They are back to playing metal again!The album starts off with "In And Above Men" and lead vocalist Fernando is growling with a vengeance I haven't heard out of him since 1996!

Track two "From Lowering Skies" then comes in with a fantastic tribal drumbeat and builds into not only what I would consider to be the best song on the album, but one of the best they have ever written. It's very moody during the verses with the clean vocal but explodes into the death vocal and a mammoth riff during the chorus. This song is a fantastic example of excellent dynamics in songwriting. It builds up during the verses and peaks at the chorus. I cannot wait to hear this one live!

I mentioned the drums before and would like to comment that this is how drums on album SHOULD sound (hear that Lars!) and they are the backbone of this album. The production on all of the instruments is excellent and helps make this album a very entertaining listen.

I honestly can't think of one bad song on the album. That is how solid I think it is. Highlights of the album for me are From Lowering Skies, The Southern Deathstyle (Could have been a Pantera songtitle...HAHAHAHA!), Everything Invaded (which they filmed a video for that is on the disc.), and Capricorn At Her Feet. Oh hell, I love 'em all!

To conclude this review I'll say again that Moonspell has returned to form and this album should please longtime fans of the band who may have been dissappointed with the last few albums. They are on the Opeth tour now so it may even convert a few new ones. The timing couldn't have been better considering they are on a high profile tour, and are promoting what I'd consider to be one of their finest releases to date.

Great review, and I agree, this album is a keeper. I can't find really anything wrong with it, it ranks up there with Wolfheart, in my opinion. Like you, I wasn't too keen on the vocals when I first heard them, but it grew on me, and I love them now. I love the sound in the beginning of "Lunar Still," it kind of calms me, but stimulates my senses as well. Moonspell are fuckin' awesome, and I can only hope that they'll keep getting better and better.

i agree as well. Two of my favourite metal bands, Moonspell and In Flames, played together in '99. I lost In Flames to mediocrite (clayman+ was pretty bad, IMHO) and after Darkeness / Hope, i was worried Id lost Moonspell also.

After hearing this new material, i was IMPRESSED, at a level which i havent been since i first bought Wolfheart on a whim and was blown away. great shit, glad their at the top of their game still

I share your thoughts on "The Antidote", though I am one of the few people who also liked "The Butterfly Effect", and especially "Sin/Pecado" (which I still consider their best album to date). "Irreligious" seemed to be a great album when it came out in 96 but hasn't aged well; in fact, it sounds pretty dated, and smacks of cheesy 90s gothic metal when I listen to it nowadays. Though "The Antidote" is roughly similar in spirit, it's much more mature and better executed.

Great album, though it gets slightly boring near the end. I would have liked to hear the soft and hard songs mixed up a little more. It starts with a band and progressively gets softer.