More copies of Run For Cover by Derek Riggs on sale!

He should of thought about selling them back in May before he pissed a lot of people off.

Personally, the book is a bit of a letdown. There are only 5-6 pices in the book that havent been readily seen by the public and most of the reproduction leave a lot to be desired.

:Smug: It wasn't HIM that pissed the people off, it was someone else who was RIPPING people off. There is a lot more to the story than you know so please give Derek the benefit of the doubt.

I personally love my book! I love that the collection is right there all together like it is. :headbang:

I love this book and I love Derek. The man is an icon! As an artist, he labors alone and doesn't get the kind of positive feedback a band receives for the work done and The Maidens are all very proud to have been a small part of the process for his personally receiving some of the recognition, love and respect he so justly deserves and has earned due to his immense talent and creativity.

Glad to see he is getting the book out to more people - I totally agree with Linda! It's so cool to have some of the huge body of work he is responsible for all in one place. Anyone with common sense would know that if a better copy were available for the reproductions, it would have been used. It must have been quite a Herculean effort to put together this huge body of work - especially considering how few of the originals were available to him.

One thing I was especially impressed by and shows the kind of person he is are some of the very nice things he did after the misunderstanding that was no fault of his personally. He didn't have to do it - (it was at his own expense, I might add) but he wanted to because he really cares about the fans. I so respect that attitude.

In the time that he came out to visit we spent a lot of time with him and his wife and got to know them pretty well. They are lovely people with big beautiful hearts who were deeply touched by how excited people were to meet him and how much his work meant to people. I treasure my personal copy because it is a gift from my friend.

:Smug: It wasn't HIM that pissed the people off, it was someone else who was RIPPING people off. There is a lot more to the story than you know so please give Derek the benefit of the doubt.

I personally love my book! I love that the collection is right there all together like it is. :headbang:

Yeah, I know about the extra hardbounds that made it out there and all that biz but I was referring to the signing of the softbounds, A dozen of us ordering copies, then having him saying he wasn't signing them, having Riggs reply to my email, bluntly saying he wasn't signing ANY books, Puck being told to leave our copies at home, THEN Riggs goes right ahead and signs copies for people at your show...Its all water under the bridge now but it really chapped my ass bigtime.

If he would of given all this some thought in today's society where Capitalism is King, he would of had a case of books available for sale at your show and on his site months ago, not suddenly start selling them to people when he apparently needs the bread. That way my friend wouldn't be out $160 and stuck with an unsigned hardbound and Derek would have his money instead of some Ebay guy.
Bud Plant doesn't even carry this book and I'm sure they would if someone with the publishers would of sold them some copies wholesale.

As for the book itself, I've been pleading for a Riggs artbook for a dozen years or more, which might explain my disappointment in the overall finished product. For instance, the writing, as artbooks go, was anemic at best and lacked, at times, even a modicum of research (Hey Martin, the first Spielberg film was DUEL, not JEWEL ! Granted, some books have type-O's, but to to get the name of a movie wrong, not once, but TWICE and in BOLD type no less is unforgivable. :mad: ) . Granted, some of it was interesting and a bit funny at times , but I got tired of all the ego stroking of guys in bands I never heard of.
A few comments about paints, airbrushes, etc. etc. made no sense to me whatsoever.
As for the contents, there was quite a bit of Maiden art left out including countless tour shirt and program illustrations, that awesome 5' ft tall Halloween display (that I once had :cry: ) and more sketches or whatnot. To have only 5-6 unpublished pieces from a 25 year span was pretty pathetic from an artbook collectors point of view.
The quality of some of the pieces, Killers in particular, was downright shameful. Anyone can do a Google search or hit a Maiden site like Maidenfans.com and get better quality images than some of the horrible reproductions that ended up in the book.

Personally, I'd like to see a revised edition down the road (Like Frazetta's ICON) after more stuff has been uncovered and really do a quality product for the mainstream consumer.
Maybe Maiden will eventually do their version of Kiss's "Kisstory" and include this book in its entirety with bonus images or whatnot.

With all due respect Tommy, Derek signed ONE copy of the paperback and that wasn't even inside, that was on the cover. That was after signing things for many hours, being jet lagged and very, very tired - he probably didn't know what he was signing and was just wanting to get home. I was one of the people who bought one of the books but I don't feel any annoyance towards Derek for it at all - far from it. These things happen - at least I have a book signed by the author now.

About the content - Derek didn't write the book and many, if not most, of his artworks have been lost, stolen, sold to private collections etc so it would be very, very hard to try and track down copies of them.

With all due respect Tommy, Derek signed ONE copy of the paperback and that wasn't even inside....

That we know of....Like I said, Its all water under the bridge now.

About the content - Derek didn't write the book and many, if not most, of his artworks have been lost, stolen, sold to private collections etc so it would be very, very hard to try and track down copies of them.

I know he didnt write it. Thats why I said "Hey Martin" in my opinion of the book in general.
They really needed someone to proof-read the book before it went into production.

"Jewel" ?...Gimme a break.

I have t-Shirts of Killers that look better than whats printed in the book....The artwork to TNOTB single cover is printed backwords for Christs sake.... Those are just some glaring problems that should of been fixed....Just my opinion...not that it matters.

I still have not gotten that book yet.

Mostly due to the fact, no matter how many bookstores I go to, I can never find it anywhere.

Not 1 big named bookstore from North Carolina to Virginia carries this book. Not one.

I don't even think that Amazon.com carries it either. I have never seen it on there.

If you know it or not, this is a very hard to find book.

Mostly due to the fact, no matter how many bookstores I go to, I can never find it anywhere.

Not 1 big named bookstore from North Carolina to Virginia carries this book. Not one.

I don't even think that Amazon.com carries it either. I have never seen it on there.

Well search no longer RTH! Now you know where to go - Derek's website! :)

It's never been sold in bookstores so that's why you've not been able to find it. It's only available from Derek's website. Better order quick before they all go! ;)

Some good feedback coming about the books from other boards!!

Damn, that was fast! Came in the mail yesterday. It's frickin' awesome! I love the way it's written. Also, inside that 1st page, out slid an 8x11" print (lithograph?). It's on a manila-ish paper with a full detail Eddie's face drawing (as if you drew the Killers Eddie in pencil). It has the same personalization as the book, also in the gold ink. Pretty damn sweet.

:kickass: