More Heathen Crusade II bands announced

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
I haven't heard of any of these new ones. Anybody know about them? The ones already announced when I looked them up were quite awesome. So I expect nothing less from these...

RUDRA, HORDES OF YORE, DARK FOREST, WILL OF THE ANCIENTS, GWYNBLEIDD and MANETHEREN are confirmed to appear at the second annual Heathen Crusade Metalfest. Bands already announced are MÅNEGARM, SKYFORGER, and VREID.

The Heathen Crusade II takes place in Minneapolis, Minnesota on Saturday, January 20th, 2007.

I'm familiar with Gwynnbleidd and Will of the Ancients.

Gwynnbleidd have a 4 song ep (though about 40 minutes) out-- it's available directly from the band as well as The End-- the first two tracks are highly Opeth influenced, while the 3rd and 4th tracks are more 'epic'-- and have some folk elements interspersed-- easily one of my surprises of this year. Also, if anyone is familiar with Requiem Aeternam, the bassist from that band is one of the guitarists/vocalists for this one.

Will of the Ancients-- Toronto band, used to be pretty much black metal with their Cold Grim Times demo a few years back-- personnel/style changes have kept some of the blackishness but have added some melodic death (in a good way) to their sound. Their debut on Northern Storm records is worth picking up-- professionally done.

I think both bands have samples available on Myspace.

The 'big' names are all good-- hoping for Enslaved to headline....

Hmmm, personally I think Manetheren should tour with Lanfear and The Forsaken.

The tour would last about fifteen years, seemingly go nowhere and take a lot of words to get there.* :heh:

-=-=--
* all three band-names are from Robert Jordan's seemingly endless Wheel of Time books

Last year's festival was awesome. It's amazing that these two guys were able to come out of the gate as strong as they did. Aside from the doors opening a few minutes late, the festival ran like clockwork. Cool venue. Good sound. Great performances. And very similar to ProgPower, a very cool crowd. Can't wait for HCII.

Fans of Opeth should check out Gwynnbleidd.

http://www.myspace.com/gwynbleidd

Enough similarities to make you long for Opeth's good ole days and enough differences so you don't walk away thinking they're simply ripping Opeth off. Their debut EP (which is 40 mins, with awesome artwork) is only $10, including shipping.

Zod

Pellaz said:
Hmmm, personally I think Manetheren should tour with Lanfear and The Forsaken.

The tour would last about fifteen years, seemingly go nowhere and take a lot of words to get there.* :heh:

-=-=--
* all three band-names are from Robert Jordan's seemingly endless Wheel of Time books

lol. I didn't even catch the Manetheren reference till you said it.