more inserts on the master bus

xMannequiNx

Mar 29, 2009
Hey guys - quick question (probably a noob question)

I'm running pro tools 7.4 and I wanted to run more than 5 inserts on the master bus. Is this even possible? What if you have two master bus tracks?

i don't run pro tools, but what if you create another subgroup and route all your tracks/groups etc to that one, sort of like a sub-master bus?

Send all your tracks to an aux or two, do your stuff there. The first aux goes to the second one, and that goes to A1-2. It also gets easier to do fades without messing up your comp/limiter or going through the processes of automating the output gain that way.

Edit: Oh yeh, Fragle mentioned that already. :)

why on earth do you need more than 5 inserts on anything let alone the master bus.
you problem is elsewhere.

but all told yes, send output of tracks to bus , then to master fader

greyskull: my master bus looks like this

1) Sonalksis Free G (trim plugin)
2) Sonnox Oxford EQ
3) Voxengo Tape Bus
4) Waves SSL Comp
5) Sonnox Limiter
6) Voxengo SPAN
7) PSP Vintage Meter

It's quite easy to need more than 5 inserts (especially if you mix through a tape plugin and a compressor). Luckily I have enough in Cubase but otherwise I'd use a pre-masterfader-bus, too.

mmmmmmmm
i use one. - mcdsp analog channel ac1.
that and PT8 has 10 inserts
mix first.
master later.

mix first.
master later.
Yeah right, I compared the chain with my quick-mastering chain not my mixing chain. I have those (or similar) plugs on the 2bus inactive and waiting to be used for a quick master.
For mixing, I would use a buss compressor, a meter/analyzer, maybe a dithering thingy and that's it.

greyskull: my master bus looks like this

1) Sonalksis Free G (trim plugin)
2) Sonnox Oxford EQ
3) Voxengo Tape Bus
4) Waves SSL Comp
5) Sonnox Limiter
6) Voxengo SPAN
7) PSP Vintage Meter

It's quite easy to need more than 5 inserts (especially if you mix through a tape plugin and a compressor). Luckily I have enough in Cubase but otherwise I'd use a pre-masterfader-bus, too.

On top of the op's first question I've also been wondering lately, as Im a beginner, about how to know what order things go on the master bus when mixing...and individual tracks also for that matter to??? Ive been using this template for everything lately and Im really not sure if its correct? Any thoughts on this?

1) SSL EQ
2) SSL Comp
3) SSL EQ
4) Voxengo Warmifier
5) Voxengo Tape Bus
6) L1-Ultramaximizer+

jeez guys, i don't even use a compressor or limiter on the master bus, i just automate the output level!

haha.

check out console vst. not free, but you can load entire chains of VSTs into this plugin, and then you just load a single instance of it. (EDIT: not so useful for protools..)

good fun!

thanks,