Free Master Compressor for Mac OS

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey there ... I've been checking out Daunt's FaderWear Guides - and I especially want to try out the suggestions in the "Extreme Master Bus Processing"-Guide.

Problem is:
What Master Bus Compressor should I use? My Signalchain on the Master-Bus looks like this right now:
- TAL Tube VST as the first saturation stage.

- Compressor needed

- VintageWarmer with liteDriven Tape Preset

What Compressor should I check out? As cheap as possible (for free would be awesome). I use Logic on a Macbook... so AU would be preferred ... Thanks guys

If you already have the VW, why not using it as a compressor?

additional note: I have not made good experiences with the tal-tube on the 2bus.....not subtile enough, changes the tone way too much IMO.

the vint.W should already give you what you need...

I usually have the Waves-API Comp and Vyrsin's VTAPE on the 2bus würks for me (VTAPE is really affordable).

Hey you guys ... thanks for the replies ...
I'll check the suggested plugs out, thanks.

@lsd:
Actually, I used the VW on the masterbus as a compressor with tape-saturation benefits. And after reading Charles Dyes Column on harddisklife.com I want to rethink my usage of that fantastic plug and use it as a tape emulator. The suggestions in that column and the ones in Daunts guide have some analogies (of course, as Daunt declares "Mix It Like A Record" as a source for his guides) which I find really interesting.
Dye first emulates an analog Console via mcdsps ac-1, Tape Emulation comes at last.
So ... maybe it's a dumb question, but would you use two instances of vw in a row then? First one vw to compress and then one vw to emulate driven tape?

By the way: Komisch, das Ganze auf englisch zu schreiben, wo ich mich in deutsch doch tausendmal besser ausdrücken könnte :D
Aber ich denke, du verstehst auch so, auf was ich hinaus will. Ich habe mir Vintage Warmer ganz zu Anfang gekauft, weil es mir so als Allheilmittel angepriesen wurde (da konnte ich grade so mit dem Logic Kompressor umgehen haha) - leider kam ich lange mit der Bedienung überhaupt nicht klar.

Cheers,
joe