FaderWear Guides

The greatest thing about writing these guides is that I have learned so much myself. I really have to find the "reasons behind my actions" and make them clear to myself and others. Thanks for the support so far! Keep on spreading the word!

Thanks a lot! I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

Mulla olis sulle Santeri yks parannusehdotus... There is one thing on this page, that I would like to correct, its at then end, in the separation-box: "When you place the mic, make sure the backside of the mic is facing the hi-hat." That is true on some mics like SM57 that has a cardioid pattern (aka "the ass"), but I would use the wordphrase "blind spot of the polar pattern" instead. If you use a microphone that has a super/hypercardioid/bi-polarpattern, making the end of the microphone point to snare just increases the amount of bleeding

Kiitos ehdotuksesta! I actually covered that thing on the toms page:

"If you use microphones with a hypercardioid pattern, try to place them so that the backside of the mic is not pointing directly to cymbals."

I will add it to the snare page.

Mulla olis sulle Santeri yks parannusehdotus... There is one thing on this page, that I would like to correct, its at then end, in the separation-box: "When you place the mic, make sure the backside of the mic is facing the hi-hat." That is true on some mics like SM57 that has a cardioid pattern (aka "the ass"), but I would use the wordphrase "blind spot of the polar pattern" instead. If you use a microphone that has a super/hypercardioid/bi-polarpattern, making the end of the microphone point to snare just increases the amount of bleeding

Kyllää

Just remembered that I did try some super/hypercardioid mics on the snare using the regular mic placement. Didn't notice any extra bleed. I gues it depends on the height of the hi-hat too. Go figure.

Dude, I would soooo LOOVE to read some tutorials on basics like the usage of reverb (especially on vocals).

+1 from me. I do know the two basic parameters (predelay and decay, aka attack and release on some reverbs) and those three basic types (plate/room/hall), but thats about it, haven't mastered the use on them at any situation, live or studio.

I usually tend to have this thing that I bring it up the reverb too loud because I cant hear it, but when the results are out, I wish I had used it a lot less because the results usually might turn out quite muddy. Thats why I usually don't use almost any reverb when mixing bands live... Or if I do, I just use some preset that says something like "snare plate" or "concert hall" and use them very subtly

I will consider the reverb guide. I have usually three different reverbs + the fx ones:

- Vocal Reverb (Plate)
- Drum Reverb (Small/Medium Room or Plate)
- Drum Room Impulse Reverb (usually the Lexicon impulses)

I treat the drum room impulse reverb like I would treat room ambience tracks. Lots of compression. I cut everything else away except the midrange. Sometimes I add distortion too. Does it even sound interesting enough?

so is master bus processing another word for mastering? or is it right before you start mastering?

Master bus processing can be anything so I understand if it gets confusing. In this case it's actually the processing you place on your master bus BEFORE you start mixing. It will affect every mix decision you make. To answer your question: it's mixing.

Ok, the writing and proofreading (thanks Metaltastic!) is done. Extreme Master Bus Processing: Compression and Saturation will be released soon! Here's a little teaser.

Saturation Step One – The Console

The first processor on my master bus is a tube or solid-state saturation plugin. The real-world example of this effect would be the master bus of an analog console. It is actually one of the main reasons why analog consoles are still used; they have a nice character, while a normal DAW master bus doesn’t have any character of its own. Most consoles use solid-state technology, but the plugins which model this effect are very rare. That’s why most people have to settle for tube saturation. It’s a shame but tube saturation is not a bad alternative at all!

A quick question? I usually setup something similar to what daunt explains in his parallel compression guide and i seen this comment....

"Send your drum bus to the DrumsParaComp bus. Make it pre-fader if possible. Otherwise the drum bus fader will affect the parallel compressor."

i use Nuendo and i see the Prefader button.....So i should have this activated...and could someone explain a Prefader in a little more detail?
im gonna do some research myself

The idea is that the compressor will get the same level regardless of the drum bus level. I think this explains the principle:

As its name suggests, a pre-fader Aux send is not influenced by channel-fader moves, because the signal is sent to the processor through the Aux send before it gets to the fader. Therefore, the processed signal level from a pre-fader Aux send remains constant, no matter how you move its corresponding channel fader.

One use for this type of configuration is to keep a vocal track's reverb level constant while you lower its dry level. Try this: set the level of reverb you want the vocal to have in the mix by turning up its pre-fader Aux send, which is routed to your reverb unit, until the effect sounds right.

Then, slowly lower the vocal's channel fader. As you lower the fader, the vocal's dry level dips while the level of the processed signal remains constant. The result sounds as though the vocalist is walking away from you: the dry sound gets quieter, leaving just the reverberations of the room.

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--03/09/2005