Extreme Master Bus Processing: Compression and Saturation (FaderWear Guides)

not a big error, but the soft knee curve starts too early in the picture (shouldn't it be a straight line until the threshold?) on this page: http://www.faderwear.com/guides/extrememasterbus/compression.shtml

That's what I thought before reading this:

Paul White: Advanced Compression Techniques: Part 1

A gentler-sounding compression can be achieved by using a so-called soft-knee compressor, where the compression ratio increases gradually as the signal approaches the threshold. Once the signal passes the threshold, the full ratio as set by the user is applied, but, because some compression is applied to signals approaching the threshold, the transition from no gain reduction to full gain reduction is far smoother.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec00/articles/adcompression.htm

I'm liking the tube sat.!

but the tape sat. is killing my snare attack..... maybe I'll try a different tape plug.

Also, in the master bus chain......where do you guys prefer the EQ?? This is what I've been doing but I'm not sure if it is the best route.

--MASTER BUS--
Tube Sat.
E.Q.
Compression
Limiter

cool tips! Tried the compression on the master channel and it's a nice slight improvement to the mix. without the compressor it sounds like the drums are a little "off" in the mix. with the compressor it sounds more solid!

Thanks!

cool tips! Tried the compression on the master channel and it's a nice slight improvement to the mix. without the compressor it sounds like the drums are a little "off" in the mix. with the compressor it sounds more solid!

Thanks!

No problem man. If I remember correctly, you have access to real SSL? I'm sure the master bus compressor sounds decent on it :)

Yeah I was in finnvox from august till last sunday so not anymore daily ssl :'(
But Risto said that it was ok for me to do some of my projects there for a "deal". don't know exactly what that means but I'm pretty sure it's a some kind of a discount. He liked my work so there might be some more work for me there ;).

but yeah the sl4000 desk is fucking great. it's a bit old and some of the channels need a bit wanking in the input before it "wakes up" haha but for sure the master bus compressor sounds real fucking good. Used it on one project I mixed analog there. turned out pretty nice actually

I've been using the McDSP G compressor on the mix bus. It allows you filter out what frequencies get to the detection stage. So by not sending the lows (under 100hz) to the compressor it really lets the compressor add a lot of punch and not so much pump. (This is what the "punch" button on the API compressor does). I also mix through a limiter (the massey limiter is awesome), but only going for 1-2db of gain reduction, and I leave it on when I send it out for mastering.

My master bus chain recently has been Cranesong Phoenix (saturation plug) -> McDSP Channel G Compressor (2:1 ratio, slowish attack, fast release, 2-3db max reduction) -> Massey 2007 Limiter (1-2 db reduction). I have been very pleased with the results.

I also mix through a limiter (the massey limiter is awesome), but only going for 1-2db of gain reduction, and I leave it on when I send it out for mastering.

You just making the mix any louder with the L2007 or are you adjusting the max output so the mix stays the same volume and just getting that little bit of reduction. Also what settings are you using on the massey L2007?

You just making the mix any louder with the L2007 or are you adjusting the max output so the mix stays the same volume and just getting that little bit of reduction. Also what settings are you using on the massey L2007?

I am using it to get that little bit of reduction. Bsically I use a little compression and then a little limiting. I find that several small cmopressors in a row sound better than one big one. i.e. two compressors ina row taking a max of 2db each sounds more natural to me than one compressor taking a max of 4db.

For the massey - I'm just adjusting the Threshold so that I get 1-2db of reduction (set to -1.5 right now), and then setting the max output to -0.10.

Dude, I've been doing the multi-compressor thing too and I like it. I'll put 2-3 compressors that do a few dB's reduction all in a row and it really helps out. I've started using a comp with a really high-ratio as kind a limiter on individual drums for example to keep everything in line. It's been working well. Also, try out those saturation plugs on individual tracks, like your drum room tracks. It's TRILL AS FUCK.

Dude, I've been doing the multi-compressor thing too and I like it. I'll put 2-3 compressors that do a few dB's reduction all in a row and it really helps out. I've started using a comp with a really high-ratio as kind a limiter on individual drums for example to keep everything in line. It's been working well. Also, try out those saturation plugs on individual tracks, like your drum room tracks. It's TRILL AS FUCK.

I run Phoenix (tape sim) on every bus. I love how it glues everything together. I'm going to have to get an analog channel plugin to run that as well. :kickass: