Processing vocals live

To be fair guys I have played a lot of gigs where the "soundguy" didn't even know what a compressor was let alone what it was for and how to work it. I've also had one mic a cab by dangling a 58 over the top so the capsule was pointing to the floor located roughly in the middle of the cab, I know off axis reduces treble and all that stuff but really?

In those situations I think having your own control would be incredibly useful, my friend has a power metal scream mode where when he does the high pitched stuff the unit recognises it and he gets a bit more compression and reverb.

Yeah, but i'm still missing the point

- i'm hesitant to believe that the compression in the ve-20 is in any way as good and controllable as a trusty dbx unit, maybe it's on par with cheap digital desks, also the compression would be pre monitor-aux... gulp.
- the same goes for reverb/delay
- eq'uing your vocals in the unit can be fatal, as every room/pa is tuned differently, also it can fuck with the monitors if they are properly ringed out for the venue, and it can fuck with them even more if they aren't

Dunno, the unit is fairly cheap so experiment with it, do remember to come back with the results

I understand your point, as I've read in the manual the compressor isn't even called a "compressor", something like "dynamic control" or something, and only has one control, "depth", which gives me absolutely no clue as to how it works. On everything else, if I add Eq to vocals pre-FOH, it would definitely be very subtle if any, I'm more interested in preamp gain (saturation, as much as this cheap unit could possibly give me) and probably just a touch tweaking the mic to my taste (cause of course I would use my own mic always). Still, I know if I can trust the sound guy and the FOH rig I could definitely leave it to them, thing is this situation happens a lot:
To be fair guys I have played a lot of gigs where the "soundguy" didn't even know what a compressor was let alone what it was for and how to work it. I've also had one mic a cab by dangling a 58 over the top so the capsule was pointing to the floor located roughly in the middle of the cab, I know off axis reduces treble and all that stuff but really?

In those situations I think having your own control would be incredibly useful, my friend has a power metal scream mode where when he does the high pitched stuff the unit recognises it and he gets a bit more compression and reverb.

I've been to many gigs where the FOH rig is a big Behringer Xenyx mixer and active Behringer monitors. in those cases, I would definitely go for bringing in my own sound.

Yeah I would advise against the compressor or "dynamics" feature on the ve-20, doesn't sound to good to my ears. But the preamp effect can be usable. Overall it has a decent amount of tweakability which is nice. I think the trick is the same with guitar effects, just don't overdue it. I'm all for cooperating with/trusting the sound guy but I guess my experiences more often than not are with inexperienced or apathetic ones so it helps to have things a little more in my favor.

EDIT: This thread got me thinking about it so I was messing with my VE-20 and found out in the master settings where you set mono or stereo output you can set it to output the effected vocals as well as the dry signal. So that would let sound guys be able to blend the two as they see fit.