Bass Processing Tutorial - Systematic Style

@mstone564: It can be done either way. I normally bass ride the DI just after editing it, but as this demo was done on the fly and I didn't prepare the track, I decided to just throw it onto the bus.

@Nuno Filipe: The bass processing 'adventure' is very different depending on the raw tone of the bass. I've never found a replacement for a clean, punchy instrument played with conviction.

@lanky noob: That would be up for the moderators to decide.

I didn't want someone to simply parrot what I would do for every possible mix, but rather to empower them with key knowledge, and let them apply it in their own way.

hope you weren't directing it towards americans then!

I read somewhere stop using ATH m-50. It's the only headphone i have, is that okay to use ATH M-50 to make the bass sit in the mix?

This is great bro. I bought the eBook for my Kindle a while ago but never finished it before cracking my Kindle screen. The primary complication I'm currently having with bass tone is picking dynamics. I'm mixing an album where the bassist plays with fingers and is EXTREMELY dynamic. It's difficult to get the bass sounding consistently powerful. Having said that, the natural variation in dynamics and attack with fingers adds a pretty cool character to the bass tone.

Thanks for the tutorial.
What is the approach when you have a bass lead on top of the fundamental bass line? Would you include that in the same group? I suppose you would want to ride it on top of the material separately.

I never had to deal with a song that has 2 basses but I guess you could get more crazy with the lead bass and not treat it as a rhythm instrument. Meaning not as much low end and compression and more high end, effects etc.

This Tutorial led me to your e-book Ermz, which I promptly purchased. Thanks for your countless contributions. :kickass:

I just recently bought your guide Ermz and I just wanted to say thanks for putting this out there. It's nice to have all that info in one place and its been a huge help.