Sub bass (infra bass) processing

kaamosprod

Mikka
Apr 17, 2009
Paris - France
Hi friends

I'd like to know first where can I find big infra bass and how is the processing for it to make it blasting in your face "boooom"?

i'd like to use it for both studio and live as samples. i Want to use it in the end of a fast passage to chain with a low passage.

Thanks a lot.

hey man,

i just use adobe audition, create a sine wav descending from 60hz to 20hz over X amount of time and bounce it. use something like waves maxbass to get it heard through smaller speakers and away you go.
hope that helps

also you can change the frequency it starts at according to the tuning your playing in.
eg if your playing in drop A you could start it at 55hz down to 20. or 110, but 110 would sound a little odd.

Thanks for your answer

But I don't know how to do that... I'm at work so I'll try it when i'm back to home but I don't know how to create a sin wave in adobe audition... I'll search and will see how to do that.

I saw few month ago that someone posted some sub bass files... It would have been more easy for me.

Fuck Off (Va tu faire en culé) and search. It's literally here one million times and it's the most overused crap production 'trick' in ever.

If it can help, here is a bassdrop I create for the last project I mixed.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6120012/TRUIESub.wav

It's pretty short, and was made to fit to the tempo/song (and it's intentionally pretty dark sounding).
It's also tuned in C, and you need to cut the blank at the beginning.

But I honestly think you'll have better results if you create it yourself.

If someone interested, this is how I do :
- First, I use this free VSTi :
subatomic.png

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3107.html
- Create a midi track that feed Subatomic (I use the preset "Short release sub synth", and tweak it if necessary).
- Open the piano roll, and create a midi note that fit the desired lenght of your sub drop, and that also fit the tuning of your song.
- Automate the pitch within the midi track, in order to reach 1 octave down at the end.
- When your satisfied with the lenght / shape, bounce it to audio.

Then, processing :
- One important thing is to not lock it perfectly on the grid/kick. Generaly my bassdrop start JUST AFTER the kick transient, so that they don't overpower each other. You'll have better impact at the end.
- You can use a slight distortion/overdrive, to make it more fat and audible.
- You can use a LP filter, for example at 2-300 Hz, if you want it to sound less noticable.
- Then, a bit of compression. The idea is to create some attack on your bass drop. I use 20-30ms attack, fast release and around 5-6 dB of gain reduction.

And that's it !
Now blend it with your tracks.
Be very careful to not mix it too loud, especially if you can't monitor the very low end properly.
A spectrum analyzer can be helpful ; you can also check from time to time with a heavy limiter on the master bus.
If it's pumping too much, you mixed it too loud.

Thanks !

There are also other ways to create subdrops, like :
- use a test tone generator plugin, generating a pure sine
- turn the frequency to the key of the song (using this kind of chart)
- automate the frequency, so that it's half it initial value at the end (for example, in C, you can start from 65 Hz to 32.5 Hz).
- then bounce, and use the same processing than I told before.

But I think the VSTi way is easier.
I'll do some screenshots when I'll have some free time !

That's a great idea to use that in the tutorial thread, because that's a very frequent question.
I see you've already post on it, thanks ;)

Thanks !

There are also other ways to create subdrops, like :
- use a test tone generator plugin, generating a pure sine
- turn the frequency to the key of the song (using this kind of chart)
- automate the frequency, so that it's half it initial value at the end (for example, in C, you can start from 65 Hz to 32.5 Hz).
- then bounce, and use the same processing than I told before.

But I think the VSTi way is easier.
I'll do some screenshots when I'll have some free time !

That's a great idea to use that in the tutorial thread, because that's a very frequent question.
I see you've already post on it, thanks ;)

Great tutorial! Thank You!